Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mix 532nm with 660nm for psuedo 640nm?

I did a mix of 405nm and 660nm once when I was working on my first RGV. Too bad the diodes went KIA afterwards, so I couldn't get any decent photos.

However, the magenta combination was a lot more visible than the plain 660nm and was very suitable for beam shows IMO. Given the fact that you can get the colour with two of the cheapest diodes available, I guess it would be worth a try. Modulating a 405 should be a total piece of cake, you can even modulate it in tandem with your 660nm if you want.

For quad modules, a 4x660nm and a single 815 405nm should do the trick if you want a dedicated diode for it. Using 532nm is also possible, maybe even use a simple 5mW or 10mW pointer core and modulate it with a Flexmod.

If you have 445 on hand in your projector, that's also worth using, but it will make the beam more purple than when adding a splash of 405.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Doug Dumage. a professional laser video guy in the pre MEMs Ion laser driven video projector era, added a small amount of 514 to the krypton 676/647 reds for NTSC to improve color response and brightness. However, since he was using AOMs, the addition was easy and well worth it. As far as I know, he invented the trick.

I've crossfed green into red in the past and have been very happy with it. That was with a PCAOM. Of course, with a PCAOM, you can use either the Pangolin palette (well, you could with a QM32) or a summing op-amp and a potentiometer. Do not knock it till you try it!

Sorry Tocket, but this is one time the color math has failed you.

Polarization or AOMs can be your friend, if your careful!

Steve