Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lexel 95-4 Argon Ion Laser System - $350

Default Lexel 95-4 Argon Ion Laser System - $350

Well I've had this system laying around and finally decided I should pass it on to someone who could actually make use of it. Once I'm done with school even if I got a new tube I wouldn't be able to run it.

Backstory:
    Snagged the system off ebay around August last year, the guy I bought it from said he got it at an auction.

PSU is rather beat on the outside, but inside is extremely clean. Line voltage plastic cover is broken but would easily be glued back together. Two of the rear fuse holders are broken (cheap fix) but are electrically functional.

The main power rectifiers were smashed when I got it, and replaced them with brand new diodes from Mouser.

After that, the whole system worked great and made amazing power. Tube has a tuning prism attached and made over 1.7 watts of 514nm at 29A.

Took the system to SELEM 2010, while Steve was going over the system one of the internal relay springs failed, causing the system to not start.

Replaced the broken relay and the laser lived once again, but this was very short lived.

Tube developed a leak and went up to air.

So basically you get the PSU, head, or both - whatever you want. The mirrors in the head are extremely clean and Steve cleaned the HR mirror at SELEM. Just looking to get my money back. ***tube is up to air, psu is fully working****
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG1811.JPG  

CIMG1798.JPG  

CIMG1632.JPG  

CIMG1645.JPG  

CIMG1629.JPG  

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I'm worried that I'm interested. (Especially since you're only an hour+ away.)

Know NOTHING about one of these (gas lasers) but, have to start somewhere and $350 is an easy enough price of admission. Based on your knowledge of this system... what kind of money are we talking in order to bring it back to life, though?

~Brad

I believe Steve is able to supply replacemnt tubes for these. Might be worth having a word with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post

Know NOTHING about one of these (gas lasers) but, have to start somewhere and $350 is an easy enough price of admission. Based on your knowledge of this system... what kind of money are we talking in order to bring it back to life, though?

~Brad
    You may want to do a bit of research before you dive into something like this!

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    I believe Steve is able to supply replacemnt tubes for these. Might be worth having a word with him.
    Yeah I know I could get a new tube for it if I wanted, but the thing is huge and the power requirements limit its usability. A new tube would cost me at least what I've already put in for the whole system so it's not really worth it for me. It was beautiful when it was working but I don't really have a use for it.

~Brad
    It would be great if someone could pick it up, I really don't want to ship it anywhere.

Really all you'd need to get this working again is a new tube and some patience. Heck the rear of the laser even has alignment marks on it.

Oh and 208v 3 phase and a hose spigot

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I AM actually familar with them to a degree... and the limitations on power and water. Fortunately I have both the 3 phase 208 and water in my facility but, not unlike you, not sure about a good use. Just seems like a good deal on one that may be in fairly decent shape. It would likely make it's 2nd trip to SELEM this summer.

I'm still giving it some consideration...and when I'd have time for a dash up the turnpike!

I AM actually familar with them to a degree... and the limitations on power and water. Fortunately I have both the 3 phase 208 and water in my facility but, not unlike you, not sure about a good use. Just seems like a good deal on one that may be in fairly decent shape. It would likely make it's 2nd trip to SELEM this summer.

I'm still giving it some consideration...and when I'd have time for a dash up the turnpike!
    Oh good! Wish I had three phase

bump, tube still has the factory brewster window covers

I know gas isn't exactly the flavor of the month but hopefully someone could use an extra PSU

I do love my gas lasers!!....
    This is a very nice system and a great price too!
    I also have the problem with the three phase power, someday i'll be able to play with the big boys!
    The only trouble I could see is with the repair and re-gassing of the tube. Who ever does score this nice buy(the rest of the system is well worth the price)will have to find a replacement head for it at a fair price. Repair of gas lasers, from my research, is very expensive and usually pays just to wait and find a new head.

Good luck with your sale.....wish I could take you up on it!