Thread: Colour balance thoughts

Default Colour balance thoughts

My current build plan is coming together, soon to obtain the Edison/Mr Willing case, also hopefully 2 x 640's in the GB.

How do think this will look for colour balance?

532nm 460mW
    640nm 450mW
    660nm 450mW
    445nm 350mW

The 640/660 will be 2 of each, knife edged/PBS combined.
    This space for rent.

aren't the 640s 150mw each? so you will have something like 300mw of 640 and 450mw of 660, or am i wrong

you know that blue is not a problem, you can set it to the desired levels. Your green is a given power and it is this that determines the levels for the other colours

if i had to throw in a forecast, i would say that you might need more red, but you will not be very far from the mark. maybe, at a later stage, swap the remaining 660s with 640 and you are done

the way you are now, i think that you will get a white with a cyan touch to it
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    aren't the 640s 150mw each? so you will have something like 300mw of 640 and 450mw of 660, or am i wrong

you know that blue is not a problem, you can set it to the desired levels. Your green is a given power and it is this that determines the levels for the other colours

if i had to throw in a forecast, i would say that you might need more red, but you will not be very far from the mark. maybe, at a later stage, swap the remaining 660s with 640 and you are done

the way you are now, i think that you will get a white with a cyan touch to it
    Thanks mate.

I know the 640's are 150mW, but I was counting on pushing them harder.

Yep, understand that green is given, and blue can be dialed to suit. I am just wondering if the 640/660 is enough... I really don't want to fork out for 4 x 640 in one hit, maybe later...

To be honest, I don't mind white being cyan or anything slightly tinted, more interested in having reds that punch and don't get washed out next to blue or green.
    Thanks.

BTW, how hard has anyone pushed these 640's?
    This space for rent.

In my experience, you can get away with in the region of equal amounts of 532 and 640. With 445 I go for 1.25 to 1.5 times the amount of 532. 1.5 times gives a bluer mix, but does mean you get stronger blue only beams.

I have 2 projectors running dual 640 modules putting out 350-380mW each. The 532's are around 425mW and this seems ok. Could do with a bit more red but it works.

Thanks nort.

One hundred and eleventy seven characters!
    This space for rent.

Incidentally, 50mW or so with the 640 is going to be minimal in terms of output, I would probably er on the side of caution and go for 400mW. If you want higher than standard out of them then try binning the diodes if you have that opportunity.
    I don't believe the benefits outweigh the negatives at those sorts of powers.