Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help finishing up my projector

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    Thanks hobbybob and michel!
    I also need to know how to screw the dichro mounts tight to the baseplate.
    Mccarrot made one metal thing around the mounts a bit taller then the other dichro mount.
    And they dont have holes for putting a screw in.
    I gave you a L bracket with the dichro mounts,

- First you need to screw the L bracket to the dichro mounts,
    - then you can locate the best possition for the dichro mount so all the beams hit the galvo mirror in the middle without touching the metal of the dichro mount.
    - take a pen and draw the excact location od the L bracket on the baseplate.
    - Remove the L bracket from the dichromount and put it in the the same location you have drawn on the baseplate
    - in the center of the L bracket you pick a location where you will drill your hole.
    - Drill a 3,3mm hole in the baseplate.
    - tap M4 in the 3,3mm hole
    - mount the L bracket with a M4 screw
    - mount the dichro mount to the L bracket with the supplied screws.

Please take your time and carefully pick the possition of the L bracket, if you drill 10mm wrong to the side you have a problem...

Galvos connected and running the build in pt-itrust show
    So firstly, they make alot more noise then my other previous galvos. Thats okay?
    Secondly, the image it makes sucks 100%.
    I think its because the galvos not scanning well because i setted them wrong into the mount or something?
    Here is a video showing it running:
    (ignore my dad and mum in the background)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv0SR...&feature=feedu
    The dichro's are something for later i think? First green must be a complete image right?

Thanks for helping and i hope you can continue to help me
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

Rotate your galvos 45 deg

/Thomas

indeed the upper galvo seems to be straight and needs to be on a 45 degree angle.
    If no signal is put on the beam has to come straight out, but i think if you look back through the topic i have told you that about 3 times..
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

yes they make a lot of noise, mainly because the pt-itrust board itself plays the build in graphics and uses a very large scanning angle so the bigger the picture the more sound of movement. if you want quit scanners invest more money

secondly, remember your physics lesson about reflecting light.
    the green laser hits the first mirror in the center, this mirror has to put it on the second mirror.
    The second mirror reflects it to the wall in front of you.
    The first galvo has to be rotated to the position so that it draws a line on the second mirror, the second one then has to be rotated so that it produces the final picture on the wall in front of you.

WARNING, dont move or touch the galvos and mirrors while scanning, it is possible you break of the mirror.

Michel

Quote Originally Posted by hobbybob View Post
    indeed the upper galvo seems to be straight and needs to be on a 45 degree angle.
    If no signal is put on the beam has to come straight out, but i think if you look back through the topic i have told you that about 3 times..
    Aaaah, so i disconnect the Power cable of the pt-itrust? Then the galvos go into home position when powered and THATS the moment to move the galvos in the mount(without touching the mirrors) so the green beam leaves the galvo mount a straight 90 degrees and straight?
    Or do i look at the image, turn off, adjust, turn on?
    (note the galvos are not scanning without signal)
    And when i disconnect the pt-itrust will all lasers go on again? Or how is that achieved if they dont?

Thanks for the quick reply's!!

@carrot: lol yes that was stopid, but i need to have it replaced soon anyways because more trouble with it. I have a insurance with it

and when looking at the post of mccarrot, i noticed that the lower galvo is ALSO wrong...
    Damn man,.... that connector needs to be on the other side of the block.
    Is the side shiny silver what you are shining on ?

Anyway, i agree with michel that you can damage stuff, although when you know what your doing you can move the galvos while they are running. Since you are not that experienced i do not recommend you try this.
    I do recommend downloading the manual and take a peek how to built the galvo block.

Both mirrors need to be under a 45 degree angle, then a straight beam goes in, up and out.
    Also the scan angle is very big, and therefore your scanners scream. If there is a way (potentiometer) to make the angle smaller i recommend you do this, else you will break your second set of mirrors....
    If you adjust scanners you can display a testpattern, at 8 degrees i thought that at 1 meters, this testpattern is 14 cm across.
    I also think Rob has some nice documents on his website explaining this.
    check here:
    http://www.stanwax.plus.com/lw/scananglechart.pdf

Here you can see how big to scan at a distance of 30cm !

But projecting 2x2 meters at 2 or 3 meters distance is way too big....
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbybob View Post
    and when looking at the post of mccarrot, i noticed that the lower galvo is ALSO wrong...
    Damn man,.... that connector needs to be on the other side of the block.
    Is the side shiny silver what you are shining on ?

Anyway, i agree with michel that you can damage stuff, although when you know what your doing you can move the galvos while they are running. Since you are not that experienced i do not recommend you try this.
    I do recommend downloading the manual and take a peek how to built the galvo block.

Both mirrors need to be under a 45 degree angle, then a straight beam goes in, up and out.
    Also the scan angle is very big, and therefore your scanners scream. If there is a way (potentiometer) to make the angle smaller i recommend you do this, else you will break your second set of mirrors....
    If you adjust scanners you can display a testpattern, at 8 degrees i thought that at 1 meters, this testpattern is 14 cm across.
    I also think Rob has some nice documents on his website explaining this.
    check here:
    http://www.stanwax.plus.com/lw/scananglechart.pdf

Here you can see how big to scan at a distance of 30cm !

But projecting 2x2 meters at 2 or 3 meters distance is way too big....
    Why is that scanning angle dangerous...? Ir ran 2 minutes and phenix made that show themselfs...would be odd if their own show killed their own galvos? Ofcource il put the angle down once i own a ilda dac,(late this month)
    What do you mean with connector?
    Do i need to swap the galvo mirrors from place?
    I shined at the glass on both galvos i made that sure. Not on the back wich is silverlike indeed...at least i think i did..i have a headache now.

Thanks!

You need to slow down, take a breath and work out in your head how this thing works.

Unplug the mofo and look at the beam path. Imagine the beam from the lasers, through the dichros to the X mirror, up to the Y mirror. See it in your mind's eye; imagine the way the light reflects off the mirrors; you need to see it in your mind, you need to understand how it works.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.