Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help finishing up my projector

you need to see it in your mind, you need to understand how it works
    I can only agree. If you cannot look at the galvo setup and see what the problem is, then you have some fundamental issues with your level of understanding (imo). Aside from the electrical bits, just understanding basic reflection would be a start.
    Please stop and give yourself some time to think things through. I would hope in the time it took to film and post that vid, you could've worked it out for yourself, but I think you may have got into the mindset that you don't understand it, so your first recourse is to ask the forum.

I'm going to agree with norty and Doc. You have to help yourself figure this out. You will get a great sense of accomplishment once you understand it for yourself. Otherwise when you show your friends "what you built" and something messes up, then you have to tell them "well, i built it, but let me post on how i should fix it"

Pride comes to mind and that comes with self-reliance. Everyone starts with *no* knowledge and then learns without mum feeding them all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Here in the UK BS 7161 IEE regs stipulate that the neutral is tied to ground at the transformer (sub station). The seperate earth connection is spliced off at street entry point.

Ungrounded switch mode PSUs worry me without a dedicated ground connection, I've had more than a few shocks from laptop supplies that use the 2 pin figure of eight plug and regulary measured 120v+ float on their outputs.
    Double Insulated apparatus.

While you can measure 120V on the outputs, this is not really an issue as the current is very minor. There are stipulations are standards for varying classes of double insulated appliances that stipulate the maximum permissible leakage current. I just had a 255W switch designed for one of our products, our requirement was <0.3mA leakage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes
    This space for rent.

I got the image correct now, but 1/4 of the green is leaking behind the second above galvo mirror.
    I think the green beam has to be moved 1mm or 2mm on the galvo mirror below...how can i achieve this? Since its already mounted on the baseplate...
    Thanks
    Last edited by borgqueenx; 02-01-2011 at 22:07.
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

if it hits the first galvo correctly then you first look at the second galvo's position, because i know you aligned the green with the galvo scanhead at the lem so this should not be an issue.
    Michel

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    I shined at the glass on both galvos i made that sure. Not on the back wich is silverlike indeed...at least i think i did..i have a headache now.

Thanks!
    eeeh.... you NEED to shine on the silver side.... not on the glass side !!!
    That silver side is actually real silver (very thin layer) which is very shiny.
    Shining on the glass will not get you the results you like to see man !
    Now i understand why the white connector on the lower galvo was pointing towards the green in your pictures, you shine on the wrong side.
    Make sure that white connector on the lower galvo is on the other side of the block, away from the green !!!

You did see how we aligned it when it was on my workbench right ?

Man, you are one tough cookie....

And no hard feelings about what i am about to say now, but sadly i have to agree with Doc and Norty.
    Ofcourse the LEM was very exciting, and there was lots to see, but at some times i did have the idea you were somewhere else with your mind when we explained things.
    Or we started to explain stuff and you went upstairs to take a look at the red and blue modules of Edison.
    Don't get me wrong, i liked helping you out, i like building projectors, even if that means my own projector has to wait for a little longer, the more people involved in lasers the better !

I showed you the green was spot on. Ofcourse if you then mount the galvo's the wrong way and write on the forum that probably the green need to be lowered 1 or 2 mm, or that the galvos don't fit, or you need to drill into the galvomount, the very same mount i used to show you how to get a nice yellow color, i feel really sad.
    We showed you it worked, we even changed the 405 for a nice 445 blue and now saying this needs to be higher, that needs to be lower..... REALLY ?

You do need to get a basic understanding, and the only way to learn is ask i do realise that, but *SOME* basic understanding about electricity and being able to power up your own supply knowing at least what L , N and Earth means would be nice and helpful. Read up some more on electronics, read other peoples build logs, read the documents on stanwax.co.uk in the document sections about aligning a rgb. Learn what nearfield and farfield means. I took me some time to grasp, asking people helped, looking over Rob's shoulders helped tremendously, and then i did it myself. But please, try a little harder yourself !
    Last edited by hobbybob; 02-02-2011 at 00:14.
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbybob View Post
    eeeh.... you NEED to shine on the silver side.... not on the glass side !!!
    That silver side is actually real silver (very thin layer) which is very shiny.
    Shining on the glass will not get you the results you like to see man !
    Now i understand why the white connector on the lower galvo was pointing towards the green in your pictures, you shine on the wrong side.
    Make sure that white connector on the lower galvo is on the other side of the block, away from the green !!!

You did see how we aligned it when it was on my workbench right ?

Man, you are one tough cookie....
    Mhhh will try when i get home today, thanks.
    Please understand that i am a complete newbie to the projector stuff...so i need to ask, to see and experience. I learned alot and probaly have alot less questions once this projector is done...
    I thought i also let the green shine on the glass(mirror side) of the galvo on the minilem but i could have remembered wrong
    Sorry i require this amount of help..

Edit:
    Look, i was at that lem completly focussing on everything...but i thought it was also cool and learnful if i watched other lasers for a while, see how that is made. By watching that i now know a module can be made from more then 1 lasers, all aligned into one beam.
    I listened to you all, and listened alot.
    Im sad that you think i didnt learn much.
    I think i already got the knowledge to completly rebuild the laser projector on another plate if it is needed one day(or for a new project)
    For the red and green alignment thing i will try to see how i can switch the dichro.
    Because i swear it got the most power when the knobs were facing the outside of the projector. Got red and green perfectly aligned. Rotating the mount made it not output power so much. But because you now told me it can both has different layers, il try to switch the dichro.
    I got the casing from tnt yesterday and there is alot of room for improvements in the future.
    Last edited by borgqueenx; 02-02-2011 at 00:31.

Default confusicus

hehe,

@Hobbybob, the PT30K set has mirrors with on one side a grey, non reflective material and on the other side the reflective mirror.

@borgqueen, the side of the mirror in which you can see your face most clear is the one you put the beam on

Michel

@Michel :I know, but when he said he shine onto the glass side and not on the silver side i was confused.

@Borgqueen: I am happy you learned a lot.
    As i said No hard feelings, i was more than happy to help you out, i had a great day and it was cool to see we progressed so far. I was only sad to see that it seems some basic understandings were missing, but that takes time. I often ask questions here, if i am lost.
    Again there is nothing wrong with asking for help.

But if people see you try stuff yourself too, they appreciate that. Does that make sense ?

Try and finish the last part of the projector yourself and you will learn a lot. Built it in the flightcase and it's ready to go !

You have seen my steps a few posts back, work through them one by one and you will see, magic will happen.

If we can help you, no problem, just ask. But it would help if you write what you already have tried yourself, so people helping you see what you have tried yourself.
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by michelrietveld View Post
    hehe,

@Hobbybob, the PT30K set has mirrors with on one side a grey, non reflective material and on the other side the reflective mirror.

@borgqueen, the side of the mirror in which you can see your face most clear is the one you put the beam on

Michel
    Ah that means my galvos are right.
    It just leaks a bit green light to above. The green laser is also not completly in the middle of the mirror thats downstairs in the block. It then needs adjusting..1 to 2mm, over a about 20cm lenght from module to galvo.
    Whats the best way to proceed? I'd say a small touch of a hammer? Because i cant drill holes next to the holes where the module is mounted now...that would only make the hole bigger..
    Hobbybob made the galvos editable in height so thats awesome