Thread: 405nm 700mw Diode?!

Default 405nm 700mw Diode?!

Hey All!
    I just stumbled across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F1Y4TEHzb8
    The sled is a BDR-S06J and below some data I found.
    I haven't found any beam specs to see if its useable for lasershows yet, the price should be about the same as for the 1w 445s... Anyone out there who knows more about this?

Vf-----ma-----mW
    3.96----50-----32
    4.3-----75-----71
    4.56---100----108
    4.8----125----146
    5------150----188
    5.18---175----228
    5.32---200----266
    5.45---225----307
    5.55---250----345
    5.65---275----384
    5.73---300----418
    5.8----325----457
    5.86---350----495
    5.91---375----533
    5.96---400----564
    6------425----595
    6.04---450----633
    6.08---475----670
    6.11---500----701

Laser Warning Almost violet

I actually worked with some sampled 403nm diodes awhile back (Used for BluRay players)

Certainly getting close to that violet part of the spectrum...

Maybe my eyes are weird (I think I had my contacts on) but the chromatic aberration for this wavelength was catching up to me.... At a distance the spot location I viewed on a beam-scan was shifting as I turned my head.... kind of weird =)

Anyways... you are really moving to the far side of the photopic (eye response) curve (Away from the peak of green)... I believe you would need a tremendous amount of power from one of these devices to yield something brilliant.

But maybe others on the forum have had better results?

I wasn't actually planning on using them for my build, but I think there might be some use ie. if your dac & software supports rr(y)gbv you should be able get a wider colourspectrum from your projector.
    And if it is possible to make a quad from this you get around 2w of 405, thats quite a lot...
    I've never even seen a 405 scanned in real life...
    Didnt find any info on them here on the forum so i thought why not inform and read up on what the community thinks...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i've done some lumia work with 405 lasers and glow paint. the glowing after effects are beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by DjMagnus View Post
    I wasn't actually planning on using them for my build, but I think there might be some use ie. if your dac & software supports rr(y)gbv you should be able get a wider colourspectrum from your projector.
    And if it is possible to make a quad from this you get around 2w of 405, thats quite a lot...
    I've never even seen a 405 scanned in real life...
    Didnt find any info on them here on the forum so i thought why not inform and read up on what the community thinks...
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i've done some lumia work with 405 lasers and glow paint. the glowing after effects are beautiful.

Now thats an awesome application for these devices

I think fluorescent tricks are one of the few things that can keep 405 inside our projectors, as we've got loads of blue because of 445 anyway.

Using UV on a fluorescent surface (or, to say something crazy, a fluorescent lumia through a bounce mirror on the other end of the stage) is a pretty cool trick, and something worth thinking about.

Also given that these 405's are pretty cheap, you may be able to squeeze one into a module together with 445. That depends on how well the beam knife-edges.

I suggest You have a look at these few productions from a friend of mine.

Done with 100mW 405nm and long luminescence plastic screen:

Leonardo

Scene

Piotr.K

Thanks for the videos, awesomeness

Quote Originally Posted by LesioQ View Post
    I suggest You have a look at these few productions from a friend of mine.

Done with 100mW 405nm and long luminescence plastic screen:

Leonardo

Scene

Piotr.K
    Great effect! Is the paint you're using absorbent to 445nm as well? I guess it would be an amazing effect to have the beams shoot through the screen and have the image remain afterwards.

Is it possible to influence the 'slowness' of the screen as well? For example, use more or less paint? If you can get it down to, say, about a tenth of a second, you can do some cool effects with slow scanning raster images as well.

Or hook up a CRT driver and use your screen as a giant 300" green-phosphorus terminal. Now THERE's a prospect!

The screen is a ready-made plastic sheet, <1mm thick.
    Been trying te pump with 325, but was not effecient enough, not tried with 445nm.

405nm is working amazingly well ! The luminescence time can be varied only by 405nm exposition time, i.e. scan speed.

There's obviously possibility to mix the luminescence with other color lasers.

Piotr.K