Thread: Power supply broken?

Default Power supply broken?

Hi all,

I hooked up my galvo scanset, and it didn't repond as it should..

At first, the mirrors just 'pulsed' every second or so.

I removed the +/- 5v signal to the driver board, after which they did nothing at all (which is possibly correct behaviour, although I would have expected the mirrors to jump to their center position)

When I measure the +15v and -15v power supply lines they read 0v and -1.52v respectively, when I disconnect the +/-15v lines to the driver boards, they still read the same value! (power-in is 230v~)

Now, is the power supply broken? or do I need to 'set it up' properly?

Just FYI: I didn't release any magic smoke

Laser Warning supply bad

Sounds like the 15 volt supply is bad if you measured with the right ground. There is a good chance this did not blow anything from your readings. Replace the 15 volt suopply. Phil 142laser
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

I measured the voltages across the +-15V and 0V terminal so that should be right..

The power-on indication led turns on when power is applied, then slowly fades..
    Als, I hear some crackling sound near the 230v lines, which should not happen at all!
    (connections seem to be fine)

Because of this, I'm not experimenting any further until I see my parents again which have grounded ac-lines (which I don't at my appartment) better safe than sorry!

Thing is the supply is brand new, so I find it hard to believe it's actually broken

Default look for a 115/220V switch

Some power supplies have a switch requiring that you choose between 110 and 220 VAC. Usually its near where the power cable connects to the power supply. Having this set to the wrong position can cause damage.

Many newer power supplys can accomodate either line voltage without having to be set.

Just something that crossed my mind reading the post. Something to check.

while a plausible explanation,

my supply doesn't have a manual switch so it switches automatically..

Laser Warning sounds like the supply failed

OK so it is new. That does not mean it can't be bad. If you read 0V on + and -1.5V on - that is not right is it? You should be reading like 15.3 and -15.3 volts with no current. Get a replacement supply. Under warranty? Phil
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

Sure it can, but it is very unlikely..

Meanwhile, I solved the problem!

When I used the outlet with my notebook I noticed it made a bad contact,

Probably the socket is bad, giving only briefly power to the supply, enough to charge some capacitors.

I tried another socket and now it works fine

When I turn OFF the power, I get the 0v and 1.55v respectively, so that is why I measured those before

Found some more problems, like a very bad contact with the 230v input (probably THIS was the problem, not the socket)..

On top of that, the laser diode has it's case connected to the POSITIVE lead, took a while to find out but isolating the laser's case from the projector's case worked like magic.

Also the amp circuit that turnes the audio signal into +/-5v works, so the galvo's are actually responding nicely!

Now I only need to find a nice small mirror somewhere to redirect the laserbeam into the galvo mirrors and I have a working laser projector!

Can't wait to test my video projection software with it (http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ser-projection)!!
    Last edited by s060340; 02-12-2011 at 06:28. Reason: typo's