Thread: Once bitten..

Default Once bitten..

Well, just as soon as you think that you've kicked the money-pit hobby, they have to go and invent a 1 Watt blue direct-injection 445nm diode. For cheap, no less. Now I have to start another f'king build. Dammitt. (I'm looking forward to it I've missed it.)

When they 1st came out, I immediately bought a $200 pointer just to see what all the fuss was about and DAMN those diodes are nice, aren't they? I bet Casi0 shit their pants when their projectors sold like hot-cakes flying off the shelves just to be raped and pillaged, lol. hehe. But, anyways.. looking for advice on lenses/ prizms/ optics/ RGB ratios etc if anybody would be kind enough to direct this old fart to the links/ threads. I have searched PL and found some great stuff, but just wondering, who has the best setup so-far? Anamorphic prizms or 2-piece lens setup.. ? Good stuff
    THANX in advance!!!!

Cheerz,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Good stuff
    THANX in advance!!!!

Cheerz,

Steve
    Well, it depends on what you want to do with the 445.

For beam displays (e.g. sattelite projectors), you can get away without using any corrective optics. The plain beam from the diode isn't perfect, but it's good enough to do simple beam projections, fans and the like.

For graphics, there are a few options you can use. Have a look in the 445nm forum to see some examples, most of the builders either buy kits or build the entire optics train from scratch.

I do outdoor beam shows 100-500 feet. No graphics. I've browsed the 445 forum. Nice. I'm just looking for the best optics . I don't use tiny scanner mirrors. A big fat powerful beam is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    I do outdoor beam shows 100-500 feet. No graphics. I've browsed the 445 forum. Nice. I'm just looking for the best optics . I don't use tiny scanner mirrors. A big fat powerful beam is fine with me.
    If you're fine with fat beams, you can use no optics at all, aside from the collimating lens at each diode. (A glass lens is preferred here, although the stock XJ-A140 lens will work.)

Adding power is easy when you use a knife edge mirror, that will also square the beam off slightly. The idea is that you place the diodes at right angles to each other, and bounce one of them off a mirror in a 90-degree angle. The beam is aimed right at the edge of the mirror, where it will line up with the beam from the other diode. (The idea is to use a razor-thin edge, hence 'knife edging')

Alternatively, you can turn one of the diodes on its side and use what's called a polarizing beam splitter (PBS) cube to combine power from two beams.

Most large builds use both mechanisms in tandem to create 2, 4 or even more Watts of 445nm. There's little that can go wrong.

Thanks for the info, man. OK--I should be more specific. #1 - What is the best lens to put directly in front of the diode? (before the prisms) An Axiz or something? Need a source and P/N please? N/M- I'm going to move this to the 445 thread.
    Thanx--
    Last edited by steve-o; 02-04-2011 at 16:55.

Hi

Here's one that will work well, the other popular choice is sold by O-Like

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Glass-lens-Aix...item3cb20096d3
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Send TR walters a PM. He is getting out of the laserhobby and he has bought a blue tec cooled module from me doing 1 watt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1080965.JPG  

P1080892.JPG  

P1080897.JPG  

Wink

And you thought you could just leave us...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

good to hear from ya steve these 445 with 532 almost look like argon

Thanx Doc and Edison! Good info.
    I never really left, Aaron.. my wallet and smoking credit card just took a sabbatical.
    Yeah, the 445+532 is the look that I'm going for, rgb-gas. Almost 488 argon-ish. My personal favorite color. Kinda turquoise/cyan/aqua. Luverly.
    Thanks a bunch you-all!