Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ILDA Forms A New US Regulatory Committee

Laser Warning ILDA Forms A New US Regulatory Committee

Today the ILDA board formed a new committee to tackle compliance and regulatory issues here in the United States. As it was, at least somewhat, my idea I was asked to chair and I have accepted. So...

I am soliciting feedback and thoughts from everyone in the laser community to help us set priorities, strategy and even share some resources which may be beneficial in this process. There will be no quick results, but I am committed to making progress even in excruciating increments. We are also looking for members to pitch in and join our merry little band if your taste for masochism is finely developed enough.

Constructive gripes, suggestions and even waxing philosophic is always welcome.

Good luck.........

Thanks man. I sense some cynicism but don't worry, were gonna get things done come hell or high water.

How about a streamlined accession number/variance process that doesn't take two years and 8 lost copies of your application!
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Cool!

One question... will this benefit non-ILDA members?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Transfer to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission? Only eight years for the paperwork on average!

Sorry hobbyists, but the pointer bill passed, which means display is next.

Ok, Same drivel I have been spouting for 15 years:

No lasers in the "black widow" class, ie say 20 mW and down. Why allow a bad joke to persist?

Seriously, lasers 450 mW and less are operator license with a multiple guess test, using approved equipment, administered by a non profit 3rd party group like Amateur Radio licenses. No gear is operated without a SIMPLE manufacturers report. Reporting is to a log book with spot checks, just like Ham radio used to be. No airspace access. No Audience Scanning without a PASS or similar, No 10X MPE. No loophole for multiple 450 mW "ports" Have at least 400 questions in the pool, and the test picks 60 at random plus say 45 standard questions. Projectors have unique serial numbers.
    IIIB and down.

Lasers 451 mW and above, Site approval required unless you have touring permit. Bonded operator. More stringent test. Insurance required. Quickie site approval test. 3B and UP. No airspace access. Gear transfer only to licensed operator or venue, no sales to non licensees. Scan fails are cheap. OEM builds need real manufacturers report.
    Or manufacturers if BONDED can issue site permits if they inspect the install or have trained dealers.

lasers 3 watts and above, variance time, licensed operator. Airspace access. Swap lasers as need, register projectors. Corporate enchalada

Oh, and one stop shopping on site approval/reporting/FAA please.

Q-switched/Audience Scanning = ILDA PROFESSIONAL.

------------------At least I was not evil and suggest the regulation of Galvo sales------------------------------

You need a trained educator familiar with test and measurement of human achievement on this one. (no, not me, but I got a A on the course)

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 02-09-2011 at 07:45.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by logsquared View Post
    Cool!

One question... will this benefit non-ILDA members?
    Honestly that depends on what is done.
    Probably Yes in the long term, In the long term it could drive per show prices back up.
    It will allow us to keep lasing, which is what needs done first and foremost.
    Its highly unlikely ILDA members would be awarded special consideration by the US government.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Lasers 451 mW and above, Site approval required unless you have touring permit. Bonded operator. More stringent test. Insurance required. Quickie site approval test.
    Bonded yes. Insurance NO! If the gov. requires special laser insurance I don't think anyone could afford it. Specialty insurance is always very expensive. Plus it would put lawyers hot on the trail of legit and legal companies knowing the money is there to take IMHO. Site approval test is a great idea if it could be done on line.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

Oh, and one stop shopping on site approval/reporting/FAA please.

Steve
    That would be great!

Maybe a touring permit fee and possible separate permit fee for one-offs and installations. The gov. loves the idea of getting paid. I hate the idea of more "taxes" possibly could weed out those that are not serious?

I am intent on getting legal...created all the docs, manuals, and pictorial diagrams....Huge thanks to...Very standup guy{Much respect}... for guidance tips....well you know who you are. I have contacted the agent that is supposed to be handling my files and they said everything is there and was acceptable and in process. No other implication of time span, or even if they were intent on shooting me down...who knows. I was afraid to poke at the dragon too much....I was grateful to actually get hold of the guy. 8 months into the waiting.....10 more to go to breach of contract I have heard???? There are just too many things up to air and no defined points with exception of getting in really deep troubles without certification and variance docs. and being compliant to a "T" with them at all times. No issues with safety or their rulings. So I hurry up and wait....some more. So yeah...what can I do to help??
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Well, let me be clear from the outset...

First, I see no reason whatsoever to impose any additional requirements onto laserists. The govt. lacks the resources to enforce those already in place so spending our energy to get something added that will have no real effect is not an efficient use of time.

Secondly, Our goal is to get into HR386 which has not passed the Senate yet, and from what i have heard has not even been brought for a vote in the house. Steve, could you perhaps be thinking of the bill from the 110th congress which passed but never become law?

Thirdly, I would really like to see clarification on these myriad points of debate. The rules which govern laser usage should, in my option, be clear, consistent, enforceable and properly defined. Until then, none of us can really understand what our civil and/or (yes I hate to say it) criminal liabilities are from the little deviations we all know are so common and without that understanding it is impossible to make informed decisions.

I would like to hear some specific points of confusion and concerns to incorporate them into a draft document of questions to be submitted to CDRH. And anything else yall have cooking...