Thread: Is This True!?

Default Is This True!?

I recently bought a 200mw 650nm diode from this guy, It came not in a antistatic bag but a normal zip baggy you get at the head shop. Not even were the diodes leads twisted, but spread apart like a tripode! I have doubts about its ESD protection that it did'nt servive the postal service. I sent him a e-mail on this matter and this is his reply:

Dear EMORY P

IF the diode is defective we will gladly replace it. That is our standard way of shipment and we have had few if any problems. No, we do not normally short the pins as they are not send to us in that fashion either. Glad to help but please check it out first.

Chuck

What do you think? is All THIS ESD Just a scare, or is it just me ?

BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

first to do...test it !

Not all ESD events will show up as a dead diode...sometimes it is just enough to knock off a few thousand hours of life from them. Then again it could blow the facet off the die just as easy. Red wavelenths are more suspect to damage than most other diodes. Shorted leads are the best protection...but even then I would treat all diodes as if I were standing on carpet....use an ESD safe work station and soldering iron. ESD takes all the fun out of these toys. A lot of packaging will pass a discharge through the material into the contents if the proper situation presents itself...only metal coated bags for me.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

ESD is real!!! It even effects diodes connected to a driver, with a LASORB, in a commercial module.

Humidity and ESD safe work station/places are your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by beamann View Post
    What do you think? is All THIS ESD Just a scare, or is it just me ?
    ESD is No Scare.....

I've blown my share of Laser Diodes as a result of it...
    Now I know...
    I would heed the above posts...

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Default Just sharing an EXP

To All,
    Yes I agree that ESD is A Major pain in the ass and walet, Every L/D diode I have ever bought was static protecteded. Of corse testing the L/D will prove.
    Would you have bought the L/D knowing how it was going to be handeled and shipped, What good is a garentee to me if I have to keep a diode in the mail system untill one comes that works? I know that I won't be Buying from this source again!
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

Quote Originally Posted by beamann View Post
    Dear EMORY P
    Chuck
    Going on the name, I can imagine that that shop also sells widely used lenses, has also an ebay shop and it's name rimes to axis?