Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Illumination side glow fiber optic cable using a laser

Quote Originally Posted by yaddatrance View Post
    Heh, let me know if you guys have any good ideas to use fiber for... I've
    always loved the stuff, but never ran into a "great" application for it.
    Sorry to bump an old thread but Ive been researching side glow cables for several months. Little background- I have practically no experience in this field.

I am extremely interested in the automotive field and Ive noticed a several recent cars incorporating light pipes, light guides, and side glow cable. A few example are the headlights of cadillacs, the tail lights of dodges, and especially the tail lights of volvos.

I am Interested in fabricating my own personal tail lights tail lights to incorporate side glow fiber optic cables. I have know how I will mount the cable in the headlight and Ive chosen this cable as it is the thickness that I am looking for.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

I have two questions though and answers or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

What should I use as a light source? When I started my research I had LEDs in mind but do they make leds with great enough output?
    Keep in mind that it will be replacing my running lights and unless its absolutely necessary I dont want to modify the electric components already in place.

The stuff I used was 1mm plastic illuminated with laser. I don't think any other light source can be focused into a fiber as efficiently as laser.

I used it to outline objects like a new Peterbilt tractor reveal, naked ladies for a gentleman's club video, or to simulate power lines in this stage set-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc37s.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	39557
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sc37.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc37s.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	39557
    What is your light source in this pic? I am wondering how bright these can get. I would like to see about focusing a round reflector strobe through a lens to inject into the fiber at the focal point. It might be a safe way to create halloween lightning without the use of a Tesla coil.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Remember the best you can do is image the source on the end of the fiber. You won't be able to focus the image of a strobe small enough. The light source in the photo is two Coherent Purelight Ar/Ky 3.5W each, combined with cube.

Thanks for the info.

Hmmmmm, maybe I can set up sections of fiber and feed them, individually, with DMX controlled 10W LEDs and sequence them like a "growing" lightning bolt. Awesome thread, giving me a lot of ideas about how to spend my hard-earned money
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.