Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble finding DHOM's, what about higher powered Optlaser greens ?

Laser Warning Trouble finding DHOM's, what about higher powered Optlaser greens ?

Over the years I've owned, CNI, Laserwave. A number of months ago, purchased 4 1W DHOM lasers from my favourite parts supplier based in China which were at an amazing price $350. I was pleasantly surprised, great modulation, probably the best I've seen, smooth and linear. In fact even pricing aside I was more impressed with them than my cni's and laserwave's.

But most of all, they were way over spec, two were around the 1.6-1.7W area, and two were around the 2-2.1W area. Divergence was around 1.5mrad, so not super tight but matched my reds and blues well and good enough for my purposes (beam shows)

My only problem is I've having trouble purchasing more of them It seems they don't carry them anymore, and all I can find elsewhere on the net are at a greatly inflated price though resellers. While I really like these lasers, I can't justify paying 2-3x as much for support and value added services I won't use.

If I could find some at similar pricing I'd certainly go DHOM. Unfortunately that leaves me looking for another low cost option for my builds.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find DHOM's at good pricing ?

Secondly, I see opt laser as similar pricing to what the DHOM's were on 1W and 2W models, and am wondering about the build quality, modulation characteristics, typical power output, IR, etc. I never see any mention of the on PL or elsewhere on the net.

I've stumbled across a few 100-200mW opt's when repairing projectors locally, and some were quite old and the green's were still going strong. But I've never any mention of the higher powered models.

Has anyone tried them ? Are they known to be inferior or is it a case of at that price point people just assume the worst ? I'm certainly skeptical, but at the same time, I was pleasantly surprised by the dhom's at a similar price point.
    Last edited by m0f; 10-21-2013 at 05:55.

Just got an email back, I may be able track some down yet.. Still interested in any reviews on Opt..

El Paso, Texas USA and Juarez,Chihuahua Mexico

Sorry I don't know about the opt but dhom i have enjoyed as long as there are no fans attached. I hate noisy fans and a bunch of opt has fans on them. By the way which reds are you using??? Powers, brand, and nm?
    Wiki:The first visible wavelength laser diode was demonstrated by Nick Holonyak, Jr. in 1962.

FS: hi grade SEAL DUST

Hehe, yeah I must admit the fans are pretty noisy Not a problem for me though, as 99% of my shows tend to be festivals, concerts and club shows.

I build my red and blue modules. I've had good results with the Mitsubishi G71 / P73 638nm series once corrected makes for a decent beam (even good enough for graphics imo), previously used 640nm in a couple of builds but have since replaced those with mitsu's just to get a bigger ratio of red in there.

For power levels in my 3W projectors I'm using around 1.1W of red (single diode). In my 10W projectors I'm using 4 diodes combined which are making about 3.8 - 3.9W after correction. No spacial filtering yet but I find works fine for a beam show, and surprisingly not even bad for graphics (not enough power in the wings to be a problem when scanned faster)

My next builds will be low cost 5-7W projectors, using a single 9mm blue and dual of P73's. Final power level depends a bit on how hot the greens come. My goal is to spend a max of $1500 or so on each without compromising quality too much.

I have a few 1W optlaser greens. Winni hates them, but I have found them to have considerably better modulation range than DHOM. However, they definitely don't look as nice or robust as DHOM. No LPM measurements but the divergence is better than my 1W CNI green.

Try Our 1W OEM-V-S, which is upgrade of our 1W OEM unit, more power and stability and linear, you will satisfy as others here.
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by m0f View Post
    My next builds will be low cost 5-7W projectors, using a single 9mm blue and dual of P73's. My goal is to spend a max of $1500 or so on each without compromising quality too much.
    That's such an incredible statement. "5-7 watts for $1500." Amazing...

When key ring RGB's are the prize in a Cracker Jack box, I think I'm done.

And that's with beam correction, good divergence, DT30s, adjustable mounts, road case and a colour balance that will even please the chroma gods I splurged a bit on my 10W's, total build cost was around $3300 w/ DT40s and a pretty close to a 1:1:1 colour balance. Exciting times for sure

Try Our 1W OEM-V-S, which is upgrade of our 1W OEM unit, more power and stability and linear, you will satisfy as others here.
    Thanks Bridge. I am definitely considering that as an option. My first three lasers were Laserwave, but I had a bad experience with the green. My 640nm is still going strong and my 473nm is practically brand new as I replaced it early on with 445nm which had the big price drop about two months after purchasing the 473nm But my green failed in the first two months of use, and was replaced under warranty. I had purchased them through a US dealer thinking it would be less hassle in the event support was needed, but the dealer I had bought them from really took their sweet time, I had shipped express even to expedite the process and took over 4 months in which towards the end I had to practically harass the person, calling every day, calling them at home, etc. I had to back out of quite a few shows as a result along the way

Unfortunately the replacement quit after a little less than a year and a half, which left a sour taste. It may have been an isolated experience and just a case of bad luck though, as so many people here are very happy with their Laserwave greens. And also to be fair this was a few years ago.. As with any electronic product, bugs are solved and quality improves in later revisions. But that experience led me towards looking to try other options.
    Last edited by m0f; 10-22-2013 at 06:13.

Hi m0f,
    I can understanding you.
    A not well experience will make you worry about that.
    We also lost more than 10000USD to the people who you are talk.
    Now, Planters here is our distributor in American, he will had a few pcs our OEM-V-S in hand soon, if you are interesting, you can asking him test and tell you his test result, as I know, he at least had one more in hand soon.
    As you mentioned, it is a few years ago, now, our green is upgrade much and proved to be one of the most stability unit, give us a chance the same give you a good products.
    Best regards!
    Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by m0f View Post
    And that's with beam correction, good divergence, DT30s, adjustable mounts, road case and a colour balance that will even please the chroma gods I splurged a bit on my 10W's, total build cost was around $3300 w/ DT40s and a pretty close to a 1:1:1 colour balance. Exciting times for sure

Thanks Bridge. I am definitely considering that as an option. My first three lasers were Laserwave, but I had a bad experience with the green. My 640nm is still going strong and my 473nm is practically brand new as I replaced it early on with 445nm which had the big price drop about two months after purchasing the 473nm But my green failed in the first two months of use, and was replaced under warranty. I had purchased them through a US dealer thinking it would be less hassle in the event support was needed, but the dealer I had bought them from really took their sweet time, I had shipped express even to expedite the process and took over 4 months in which towards the end I had to practically harass the person, calling every day, calling them at home, etc. I had to back out of quite a few shows as a result along the way

Unfortunately the replacement quit after a little less than a year and a half, which left a sour taste. It may have been an isolated experience and just a case of bad luck though, as so many people here are very happy with their Laserwave greens. And also to be fair this was a few years ago.. As with any electronic product, bugs are solved and quality improves in later revisions. But that experience led me towards looking to try other options.
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

The optlaser power supplies look bunky, I had a good look this month when in China. Hows this RGB module, checkout how fat the 638 is! I also note the photos and CAD drawings are way different....

http://www.optlaser.com/en/products/show.php?id=161

Keen to know what their 532s cost though...
    This space for rent.