Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FB3 question - no blue?

Default FB3 question - no blue?

I recently got around to taking my FB3 out of the box, ran through the setup, 30kpps RGB, all seems well, but when I start using QS2 I get no blue... I have 473 on the Blue line and 445 on the deep blue line and neither one does anything, I only get green and red... I know the cable and projector are ok because I get all colors on my QM2k card... anyone have any suggestions or is this thing borked?

Default dumb question

Dumb question but did you set it for a 3 color laser ?
    Oh and btw no deep blue channel on fb3, only rgb 3 channels
    Last edited by badger1666; 03-08-2011 at 21:42.
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

yes its set for RGB, and I know theres only 3 color lines but like I said I have 473 on line 3 so I should be at least getting that, which I am not

Very little I can add to this as I don't have a laser for testing.

However, my suggestions would be initially:

1. Update to QS 308, just in case you have a problem with your current build. PM me an email address and I'll send the file as an attachement - its 9mb.

2. You'll have to then update the FB3 firmware to run 308. This is obviously a good thing because it eliminates any kind of firmware corruption. In QS, Go to "Settings" > "Firmware Update Centre" then click "Update All Controllers". Unless you have firmware 7.25 on already, it will update. (You need to install build 308 BEFORE trying to update the firmware).

3. Try running QS again with output.

4. If this fails, go to "Settings" > "Projector Settings" > "Colour Settings" Tab. It should look like this for most lasers (except those with log response):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's highly unlikely you'll have any software issue in settings as after putting build 308 on, you'll have completely reset the initial set up anyway. However, it never hurts to check!

In my opinion, before trying any software updates (apart from installing the most recent one from the main update site) I'd test to see if you are getting any volts on the blue line with a multimeter when it is running.

This will tell you if the DAC is at least doing 'something' on the blue line, and might help point to a hardware fault (DAC or projector)

If it was a general software issue, I'd put a whole chunk of cash on it being raised by other people before you

I don't like the way that updating to the newest possible 'beta' is always seen as the first/best solution. Proper methodical investigation of an issue is more likely to be useful initially.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

@ Norty, 308 isn't a beta.

Its the latest release version. I think you'll find its just not on the Pangolin site because it simply hasn't been updated recently.

All beta testing of QS is effectively over and has been for some time although obviously bugs are dealt with if discovered.

308 is the most bug free build there is, period. I've been running it for 2+ months and I simply can't break it! Its rock solid in my experience.

Given that I've had practically every single build ever released during the Beta on my PC, of all the builds, both beta and release, 308 would be my choice which is why I'm running it. There are lower builds that run on the 7.25 firmware but 308 is build of choice in my opinion.

It could just be in Flecom's case a hardware issue with the Fb3, but you're never going to know unless you try a different build on the controller and new firmware, as software and or firmware failing to output the blue line is going to have exaclty the same symptoms as the Fb3 failing to output. I believe also that the FB3 hardware is supposed to indicate a problem via its LED although whether or not it self tests each individual channel, I wouldn't know.

The whole prospect that someone else would have reported it if it was software based, doesn't necessarily follow when users are spread over what must be around 100 different builds. Anyone not in the beta will be on one of around 2 release builds put out on CD, making the majority on around 2 builds only. Also, that reasoning doesn't allow for corrupted firmware on an individual controller.

To my mind, eliminate the software and firmware and you can firmly point the finger at the hardware. Test the hardware for lack of output, and it could still be a software or firmware problem as the hardware can only output what its being fed.

Just my 2 cents.

However you want to call it, its not a 'general release' if its not on the update site... period.

One of my own personal pet hates is the way that Pangolin has software they consider a release product but its only available via a 'hidden' download site. So I'm also making a point...

There are lower builds that run on the 7.25 firmware but 308 is build of choice in my opinion.
    Yes, thats your choice, everyone else will have to make do with 294 and 7.20...

The whole prospect that someone else would have reported it if it was software based, doesn't necessarily follow when users are spread over what must be around 100 different builds.
    Yes it does, on the basis a good majority would be on the one of the 29x builds of recent weeks. No blue channel would show up with just one user don't you think? It's a significant bug it is software related (which I don't believe it is, as far as a 'bug' is concerned)

Just my 2 cents

You're in Yorkshire.... act like it, or have the assimilated you so quickly? Tuppence lad, tuppence...
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    However you want to call it, its not a 'general release' if its not on the update site... period.

One of my own personal pet hates is the way that Pangolin has software they consider a release product but its only available via a 'hidden' download site. So I'm also making a point...
    Well I'm not speaking for Pangolin but thats just my opinion. Beta testing hasn't been occuring for some time now officially and all builds for some time have not been labelled beta. If I thought that Bill would object to me supplying build 308 to people on here having problems that it might help, and thus save his time having to deal with it as a support request, I wouldn't do it. I don't break confidence on things such as these.

So far as it not being on the public site, Pangolin are busy with many projects at the moment and I dare say putting the latest build on the download site is something that gets done when a spare moment is found as opposed to breaking off from important work to do what is a trivial thing when most builds are stable and earlier builds only have very minor bugs that don't really affect overall functionaility or stability for the majority.

I know for a fact that Bill is working long hours on 3 simoultaneous projects at the moment so going to update the web site is probably the last thing on his mind when a fully functional and stable build is already hosted.

Yes, thats your choice, everyone else will have to make do with 294 and 7.20...
    No they won't. I already offered to supply 308 to anyone having problems to save Bill's time, including yourself. You turned it down because you're afraid of having to update the rest of your ancillary software.

This is one of the reasons I hate posting Build numbers and have avoided doing so in the past, because if someone finds out someone else has access to a higher build they can take offence, yet there may be very good reasons why someone has access that isn't apparent to the person making that judgement.

Yes it does, on the basis a good majority would be on the one of the 29x builds of recent weeks. No blue channel would show up with just one user don't you think? It's a significant bug it is software related (which I don't believe it is, as far as a 'bug' is concerned)
    It depends which build Flecom is on and it still doesn't allow for a firmware corruption which would be individual. I still say you can't diagnose the hardware properly without 1st installing a different build of software and a new firmware build to eliminate a problem at that end. It may well be the hardware, but it doesn't necessarily follow that because the hardware doesn't output its the hardware to blame.

You're in Yorkshire.... act like it, or have the assimilated you so quickly? Tuppence lad, tuppence...
    Maybe some Yorkshire Tea and a chill would help cos thas reet wound up there lad.

I had a similar issue and something had to be done to the blue bodulation in the FB3 to make it work for my lasers because of the way it modulates contact hayden at pango. i cant tell you exactly what was the issue but there was something wacky going on

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    if someone finds out someone else has access to a higher build they can take offence
    But where would they put it?

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    ...verbosity...
    Mountain. Molehill.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -