Thread: solid state RGB projector on E-bay for under $1800 US!

Default solid state RGB projector on E-bay for under $1800 US!

Ok, I'm not ready to buy this thing just yet, and the seller clearly has many of these things available, so I'm sure there are enough to go around... But one day soon I might be willing to plunk down the cash for a turn-key solution like this. So I'd like some opinions about this E-bay auction (#7399373321):

It's a 400 mw RGB projector. (300 mw red at 650nm, 50 mw dpss green at 532 nm, and 50 mw dpss blue at 473) Made in China of course.

It's got a set of galvos and amps installed - unknown speed though. It also includes some sort of on-board controller for basic beam sequences and patterns, and it already has some basic show sequences pre-programmed.

The controller can run in either pre-programmed mode, random mode, sound activated mode, or you can control the galvos directly via an external DAC hooked to the ILDA port. (There is also a DMX port, so you could control the internal controller from a remote DMX board.)

The pictures they have posted with the listing look absolutely stunning. The colors are amazing! And I have to admit that the price is pretty incredible. The lasers alone are almost worth the price of the whole unit.

Now, I agree that the color balance is a bit off, at least according to the specs they give. (They would be better off with 100-140 mw of blue, though admittedly the pictures don't seem to bear this out.) And I'm farily certain that for this price the lasers won't support analog blanking. But even so, this looks like one hell of a deal for a 7 color TTL system...

So, what do the rest of you guys think?

Adam

PS: Just to give credit where credit is due - Astroguy is the one that found this thing, not me... He and I were discussing it over the weekend, and I figured we could both use some insight from the more experienced users here on PL!

i think it`s a OK deal.....
    But that will only be fun to use indoord at small room (from my experiences)

As mostly it`s only red, and 50mW green \ 50mW blue !
    That will not be powerful enough to use at a bigger "room\disco" !!

But i dunno ?

My goal is to have a 200mW blue or more

Liteglow;

You're right in that the system is heavily biased towards red light. The proper ratio of red to green is something like 4.6 to one for true whitelight performance. But they've got 6 times as much red as green!

Likewise, the ratio for blue to green is supposed to be 2.4 to one, so they are missing about 70 mw of blue.

However, these power ratios are just guidelines. You can be way off and still get beautiful colors, but if you are looking for *accurate* color representation then you need to follow the ratio.

One thing that I am unsure of is how much the ratio changes based on the wavelengths involved. For example, I'm pretty sure the 4.6 to 1 for red to green assumes you're using 635 nm red. But since they're using 650 nm red (which the eye is less sensitive to), they might be on the right track having a 6 to 1 red to green ratio.

I also think the blue to green ratio is based on 488 nm blue. However, 473 nm dpss blue is not as visible to the eye as 488 nm argon blue, so maybe they need even more blue than the extra 70 mw suggested above. I don't know...

I can say that the pictures look *really* good though. And given the low cost, if you ended up needing more power you could always swap out a larger laser and still be ahead of the game pricewise...

Adam

I have just taken delivery of the first generation of 8-bit TTL modulated rgb units. They will give a pallette of 500,000 colours. I'll post some pics when I have them. Not too expensice either. Fluff
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Fluff:

I'm not familiar with the unit you're describing. Do you have a link to more info about it?

Would love to see pictures!

I have been able to find out that the unit I posted about above only has 10kpps galvos in it, so graphics are out - apart from something *really* basic... But it shouldn't be that hard to swap out the slow galvos for a set of dt-40's, so maybe we'll see another model offered soon.

Adam

Hi. Teh units is the Neo Laser Trinity Disco and Matrix Disco ( I KNOW !! ). Follow the link http://www.neo-neon.com/neo-laser/Main.htm for details. I haven't priced them yet, but I will have them next week. Anyone interested can PM Me. Fluff
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Adam

Don't discount 10 and 12k scanners for graphics. Up until relatively recently, 12 k was the best available and a lot of content has been written for scanners of that speed.

You just have to be more careful when writing your shows, and not be too ambitious with the scan angle. I have a few units set at 12k which will project perfectly accetable graphics shows at 10 dergees.

approximate price for a 500mW RGB 8-bit ttl unit is $ 3900.00

The unit will display 128 colours from the software, not 500,000. Sorry, I was thinking of a different model. Read below for the manufacturers description. Fluff

The Trinity Disco Series incorporates many of the features and functions of the Semi-Professional Series. Contain in this rugged housing constructed of Extruded Aluminum, reinforced optics plate, injection molded and rubber coated front and rear panels lay technology far superior to that of any laser in its class.

The Trinity Disco Series utilizes Neo-Laser 12K high precision galvanometer scanners to create professional aerial effects, animations, beam effects, and abstracts similar to the Semi Professional series but at lower price points.

Unlike the 10K DJ Series the Trinity Disco uses a new type processor control platform, developed exclusively for Neo-Laser by Pangolin, that enables richer content to be delivered to the scanners. This content is stored on an onboard 32MB memory chip that is factory preloaded. Most of the images that are pre-loaded come from the Pangolin Library. Which means that they were programmed by professional. Keep in mind there was a time in the laser industry when 12K was really fast and allot of content was created for this type of scanning.

The Trinity Disco Series is positioned to be the professional standard for 10-12 K laser projectors. With 8-Bit RGB color control the RGB units deliver up to 128 virtual RGB colors.

Controlled via DMX 512, Auto, or Stand alone the Trinity Disco Series is the perfect projector for DJ's Small, Disco's, Bowling Centers, Small Pubs, Mobile DJ's where professional laser effects are desired but the budget does not allow for. For 24-40K scanning systems see Trinity Semi-Professional and Professional Series Intelligent laser Projectors.

The only 12K sytem made in Asia with Pangolin Technology Inside!
    www.rocknite.co.uk