Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking For A CPU controlled Lazer Show Kit

Question Looking For A CPU controlled Lazer Show Kit

Hi im looking for a computer controlled laser show kit... Any suggestions guys??

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Morning!

I see by your post count that you are relatively new. Do you have any idea as to what your budget might be? There are various levels of software out there and you can get into this part of the hobby for as little as $50 and go into the thousands. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for. What many members on here will suggest are programs from Pangolin with "Quickshow" being the entry point around $600. Understand that operating from a computer will require a separate device to convert the software signal into something the laser will recognize. Quickshow comes with what's called a FB3 controller. Other software comes with their own proprietary DAC. Or, the cheapest solution is you can buy what's referred to as a "sound card DAC" and find very inexpensive software to download.
    A word of caution - You can waste a lot of money buying cheap and not being satisfied with the results - resulting in spending money on something else. Better to buy the best you can afford. You can also download demos from many companies first and see what suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by aras4life View Post
    Hi im looking for a computer controlled laser show kit... Any suggestions guys??

Hmm CPU controlled?
    may I ask why? what do you want to do with it? how big is your budget?

I know the QM2000 of pangolin has an cpu, and it can run shows without an pc if you use the pangolins CD player.
    or you can get an FB3, I think there is one that supports SD cards?

There are other DAC's that do this too.
    But you really need to mention your budget.

Well firstly yea i am new to this and than you for your replies, so i need it for a school project. İm studying İ.T. And im in 3rd grade. Well my budget is around$ 1000. Well i am thinking of a cpu controlled show because that is what was asked from me. The sd card idea could also work im doing some research about it right now. Some idea like this may also work for me. So basicly i need a kit because itll be easier to put together and all parts would properly be selected, i dont have alot of hardware knowladge.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Wow.... o.k., first off. Cheapest way to get the software portion of this done is a soundcard DAC. Touch base with 300Evil on the boards here and he can hook you up anywhere from $80-$150 depending on your needs. Then, look into a program called Spaghetti to control things. As far as a projector, I'm thinking something small like a 100 or 200mW green should be fine for the class you are taking. I don't know that you will find that in a kit form but, people here can help with sourcing parts and helping you build it.

~Brad

A 'CPU' controlled show covers so many options, I think people here may be overlooking the simple ones.

How about using a simply DMX board with pre-programmed shows (e.g. iTrust or similar) and then you develop a small DMX driver with embedded show on the chip?

I'm not sure how much stuff you actually have to build/develop yourself, and how much you can buy off the shelf.

Perhaps provide a bit more info about the project and also fill out your profile so we know where you are in the world (for suppliers, etc)
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by aras4life View Post
    Well firstly yea i am new to this and than you for your replies, so i need it for a school project. İm studying İ.T. And im in 3rd grade. Well my budget is around$ 1000. Well i am thinking of a cpu controlled show because that is what was asked from me. The sd card idea could also work im doing some research about it right now. Some idea like this may also work for me. So basicly i need a kit because itll be easier to put together and all parts would properly be selected, i dont have alot of hardware knowladge.

So do you actually need to make it yourself?

If yes then the only real answer is building a soundcard DAC.

If no, then there are various software packages and DAC's out there that will mate with a PC / laptop to give computer control.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

3rd Grade and Studying IT? 1000$

Troll alert?

Steve

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

3rd Grade and Studying IT? 1000$

Troll alert?

4 nearly identical posts.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    So do you actually need to make it yourself?

If yes then the only real answer is building a soundcard DAC.

If no, then there are various software packages and DAC's out there that will mate with a PC / laptop to give computer control.

Well i dont belive i have to build it, it will be ok to buy the parts off the net or a store as long as i put the system together.
    İ will fill outmy profile and give more information towards my needs when i return to my dorm and do more research about the ideas i heard. Btw i have an appoitment with my counselor tomarrow what are the must knowns that i should get answers to?
    Tnx for the replies