Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Somebody Translate this? (Dutch)

Default Can Somebody Translate this? (Dutch)

This is an article about my grandfather, (man in picture) and would be interested in knowing about what it says. If someone could translate it for me, that would be awesome! Not every word, Just a summary. It's a little blurry but maybe ledgable enough to get the base of the story.
    Thanks!
    Adam

I will.
    Pictures are kind of blurry,
    But I will try and translate a bit for you.

Here's my translation (since i am not a native speaker, there might be small errors).

From our correspondent in Rotterdam
    Hoek van Holland Thursday

Do you think two or 3 small children in the early morning is hard ?
    Then look at the always happy face of Dad Kuhr (age between brackets), who evacuated from Indonesia with 28 children and this morning at 5.30AM at arrival upon Hoek van Holland said: "It was a beautiful journey. I couldn't imagine a better returntrip".

With the 28 children it was like this: 10 of them the former (occupation between brackets) from Medan can call his own, Except a daughter that goes to school in the Netherlands, he brought the other 9 with him on board.

Mr. Kuhr was the only grown man amongst the evacuated people on the British vessel "Name between accolades" that picked up 43 Dutch people in Singapore: Family Kuhr (11 people), 14 women together with 18 children.

Boogeyman
    For that 14 broken families on board he was like a godfather and custodian, their shoulder to cry on and translator and a single ....... last line is not clear

Under the picture: Father Kuher with a "selection" of his children.

second column:
    made a holidaytrip to Australia, when the ship iN Singapore the empty places on board filled with people to evacuate.
    "We docked in Colombo, Aden, in Athens and Napoli and visited Marseille and Barcelona at our own expenses. We were in Gibraltar and Lissabon and went off board (debarked ?) wednesday in England.

We travelled by train to Harwich and the nightboat brought us to Hoek van Holland.

Translator (=tolk)
    "My task as godfather started already in the port of Singapore when a woman, who could speak English, wanted to ask something to a crewmember. From that moment i had to take other peoples kids to the ship's doctor, i made telegrams, exchanged money, inventarized the wishes of the mothers and their children for winterclothing that was to be given out in the Napoli, and had to give a strict look at naughty kids"
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

WOW! Thanks for taking the time to do that. Very interesting info. I never knew graps was a "Godfather", I guess that makes me a "made man". You all better start paying me for protection.

You're welcome!

But it's a cool story, you know from what date the newspaper was ?
    And what the name of the boat was, maybe i can dig up some more from the archives ?
    If you PM first names and complete family names i could try and dig up some info on the genealogy sites.
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

"and had to give a strict look at naughty kids"
    Your just like your gramps!
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbybob View Post
    You're welcome!

But it's a cool story, you know from what date the newspaper was ?
    And what the name of the boat was, maybe i can dig up some more from the archives ?
    If you PM first names and complete family names i could try and dig up some info on the genealogy sites.
    PM sent! Thanks again for all the help. One of my aunts is writing a book about the trip and having any additional info would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Your just like your gramps!
    LOL! Yeah, I think you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    WOW! Thanks for taking the time to do that. Very interesting info. I never knew graps was a "Godfather", I guess that makes me a "made man". You all better start paying me for protection.
    Maybe all of a sudden the maffia comes to get you and then they say you have to become the new godfather

Maybe as he came by sea he was actually the Codfather.

I think I found his boat:

Great story though Adam.

You must be very proud.

Situation:

Person: "Pay the protection money, or I'll lase you!".

Me: "Don't Lase me bro!!".