Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FB3 question - no blue?

I think you've just proved my point Whitelight.

My point being that:
    On the basis that QS has very few bugs (as you say) the difference between 294 and 308 'should' be negligible, certainly for the purposes of testing here.

Recommending 308 seems to fly directly in the face of your unreadiness to post about 'build numbers'

Also bear in mind that there are a LOT of users who don't know or use PL, and therefore don't have access to your help in supplying later builds. My point being that for the 'rest of the laser world' their software access starts and ends at the main update site. If Pangolin think that the current release posted there is good enough, then it should be good enough for testing.

You turned it down because you're afraid of having to update the rest of your ancillary software.
    'Afraid' is a strange word here - it must be said, there are a few reports of people updating firmware only to find it created new problems that they couldn't then downgrade from. 'Understandably cautious' is perhaps a better term.
    There were also the issues with the LP testing I was doing at the time for Bill that didn't need another set of variables thrown into the mix.
    Your world is simple because you only have to worry about QS and your FB3. Others have to balance functionality of 3 or 4 apps that use the FB3 interface and make sure everything all works correctly at the same time.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I think you've just proved my point Whitelight.

My point being that:
    On the basis that QS has very few bugs (as you say) the difference between 294 and 308 'should' be negligible, certainly for the purposes of testing here.

Recommending 308 seems to fly directly in the face of your unreadiness to post about 'build numbers'
    My point in recommending 308 was simply that you can't eliminate a software problem without trying another build. You can't eliminate a firmware problem without upgrading the firmware. As 308 is the most solid build I'm aware of and it requires the firmware upgrade, something which starts around build 305 from memory, it's logical its the one I would recommend.

It may well turn out to be a hardware problem, but its better to eliminate everything else before sending Fb3's off to Pangolin for weeks for repair. It's far more disruptive in my opinion to be without the hardware than to spend 1/2 an hour trying an upgrade 1st.

Posting the build number does fly in the face of my previous unreadiness, yes, but I was trying to help several people on here out with recent problems and there wasn't really anyway of doing that without making reference to a build number. Your posts just seem to prove that it was a mistake. Maybe I'd be better off not trying to help and just letting people sink or swim.

Also bear in mind that there are a LOT of users who don't know or use PL, and therefore don't have access to your help in supplying later builds. My point being that for the 'rest of the laser world' their software access starts and ends at the main update site. If Pangolin think that the current release posted there is good enough, then it should be good enough for testing.
    I agree not everyone has access to support here. But I'm not trying to provide a formal support service as I don't work for Pangolin, I'm just very familiar with QS and I'm just trying to help a few fellow laserists out to save them the bother of having to contact Pangolin and in turn possibly saving Bill's time in return if it can be sorted out here.

As for the current release being good enough for testing, see my para above about eliminating software / firmware causes above.

'Afraid' is a strange word here - it must be said, there are a few reports of people updating firmware only to find it created new problems that they couldn't then downgrade from. 'Understandably cautious' is perhaps a better term.
    There were also the issues with the LP testing I was doing at the time for Bill that didn't need another set of variables thrown into the mix.
    Your world is simple because you only have to worry about QS and your FB3. Others have to balance functionality of 3 or 4 apps that use the FB3 interface and make sure everything all works correctly at the same time.
    I can't argue with that although apart from the 1 incident with neo hardware not working with the latest firmware, something of a rare occurrance, I don't know of any other problems with 308.

However, as you are testing a LP fix for Bill its entirely understandable and correct that you'd want to keep everything else a constant. However unless Flecom is also testing the LP fix, thats not a problem for him. Ultimately, no-one is forcing anyone to change any build. Its down to individual choice and how much you want to diagnose before senidng your hardware away.

I think you're being a bit extremist in saying the next stage is to send off the hardware - the point is, there is a whole lot of testing to get out of the way before trying a build beyond 294 (which we knows works for lots of people)

My last comment on this - I'd be interested to know how likely it is that a corrupt firmware would leave a colour channel inactive? In my experience, these sorts of firmware updates either work totally, or not at all (bricked) Is there any evidence anywhere that firmware can be incorrectly loaded but verified as ok by the uploader?

Anyway - back to the topic (my fault entirely, sorry everyone...)
    @flecom - where are you at with testing, what have you found out so far?
    Frikkin Lasers

I think you're being a bit extremist in saying the next stage is to send off the hardware - the point is, there is a whole lot of testing to get out of the way before trying a build beyond 294 (which we knows works for lots of people)
    My last comment too. If you've eliminated software and firmware, what else is there but the Fb3 hardware given that the projector runs fine on the QM board using the same cable?

You can't repair it yourself without voiding the warranty or knowing what you're doing with the circuits in the FB3, so your only option at that stage is to return it for repair which is exactly what ShawnB reports having to do in his post above.

To my mind 1/2 an hour spent checking the software / firmware 1st is a much easier option than a return which might prove uneccessary if the problem lay elsewhere.

i had the same issue, the flexmod needs at least 5.7 volt to be able to activate blue using qs 2.0 and fb3.

it worked fine with my easylase but with fb3 i had to turn up the voltage a bit.

check the voltage you supply to the flexmod, if it is below 5.7 you know what to do.

Michel

no flexmod, thats for my 445 which is on the 4th color channel (that the FB3 does not use anyway)

3rd color channel (blue) is a 473nm laserwave

So have you got as far as checking for volts on the blue line at the FB3 AND at the end of the ILDA cable? Lets rule out some 'no brainers' first, even though you say it works with the QM.
    Frikkin Lasers

Is your projector wired up for differential colour signal?

I had a Laserwave red that wouldn't light until I grounded it to P25 rather than wired up for differential in the DB25 connector (FB3's are single ended output).
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Yep, that was my next port of call if he confirmed volts on the blue lines
    Frikkin Lasers

Just for reference, I've just spoken with Bill.

Build 308 will be going up on the Pangolin Web Site shortly for general download.

Please all be aware, a firmware update will probably be required for many users (the software will tell you if this is the case).

To update, run the new QS build then if it doesn't automatically give you an update option but just informs you of a required update, you can do it manually via > Settings > Firmware Update Centre > Update All Controllers.