Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Lpc826 - lpc 815 - phr803t - sfaw210 - ggwh20l - bdr-s06j

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfire View Post
    I only chose the 100mA range due to the diodes still being in the sled mount/heatsink and the heat sinking of these are just enough for short tests at this level. If I'ts just the diode and needs mounting anyway then a higher current level would be the better way to go.
    Pure logic captain.
    This space for rent.

Well well. TEC cooled to 18c, 640mA, my killer died after approximately 100 hours. I now have a nice LED. She still pulls 640mA BTW.

Despite this "special" diodes performance, I am suspecting they all have the same power dissipation constraints...
    This space for rent.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Well well. TEC cooled to 18c, 640mA, my killer died after approximately 100 hours. I now have a nice LED. She still pulls 640mA BTW.

Despite this "special" diodes performance, I am suspecting they all have the same power dissipation constraints...
    We salute your sacrifice.

Default R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post

Oh well, it was to good to be true anyway. Don't be sad, she's in the great Laser diode heaven now, rest her sweet red headed little soul...

Kinda makes you wonder... Did she die a thermal death or maybe a facet contamination death? Hopfully she didn't suffer to long. I guess we'll never know. It just sadens me to see so much unlived life deceased.

Oh well, it was to good to be true anyway. Don't be sad, she's in the great Laser diode heaven now, rest her sweet red headed little soul...

Kinda makes you wonder... Did she die a thermal death or maybe a facet contamination death? Hopfully she didn't suffer to long. I guess we'll never know. It just sadens me to see so much unlived life deceased.
    Initially I was pretty bummed, then I thought what a great lesson. The accepted limit of 420mA for half reasonable life should be heeded regardless of performance IMHO.

I have 8 x LPC-826 to test now. If I find star performers you can bet I will not run them above 420mA just because they appear ok higher.... I think the best solution will be to run the most efficient/capable diodes at moderate current to provide good output AND life. The life part is just as important!
    This space for rent.

a weep and a tear running down my cheek.... RIP in diode-heaven little can...
    "its called character briggs..."

Got my LPC826's today. Perfectly packaged and rapid postage, no complaints there.

Surprise: The diodes I got were BRAND NEW. No salvage units from sleds, but packaged in the factory antistatic bag and not even a single scratch on the brass. Even the spare pin for the monitoring photodiode has not been trimmed off, so I guess these would be delivered by the factory in the same way.

Running flawlessly at 300mA now, I know I can push these things a lot harder but I don't need any more power at this time.

Question

Hey... I am a n00b when it comes to playing with bare diodes. Can someone take a picture of their "diode mounting" work area and what tools (ESD fighters) you are using to use with these diodes?

Get an ESD table pad large enough to allow you to work as well as hold bits and pieces of your work in progress. Maintain a high ambient humidity. The higher the humidity that does not cause annoying condensation the better. Use a humidifier if necessary. Avoid any carpeting and do not do any ESD activities such as vacuuming near your table. Become obsessive about grounding yourself EVERY TIME you approach your work area and of corse keep your diodes shorted out whenever you don't plan to use them immediately.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Get an ESD table pad large enough to allow you to work as well as hold bits and pieces of your work in progress. Maintain a high ambient humidity. The higher the humidity that does not cause annoying condensation the better. Use a humidifier if necessary. Avoid any carpeting and do not do any ESD activities such as vacuuming near your table. Become obsessive about grounding yourself EVERY TIME you approach your work area and of corse keep your diodes shorted out whenever you don't plan to use them immediately.
    Thanks! The ESD pad may be hard to come by local but we always got humidity down here in Florida...

This sounds like a dumb question but I have to ask; shoes, or no shoes?