Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I may have to change my hobbies....

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Adam, this is what you NEED. 392ci fuel injected HEMI.

Attachment 24204

A little small but, an improvement... I have the FI covered. I build that shit from scratch.

You guys aren't helping... It's like egging on a compulsive gambler...

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    A little small but, an improvement... I have the FI covered. I build that shit from scratch.

You guys aren't helping... It's like egging on a compulsive gambler...
    Hehe. You can thanks us later.
    This space for rent.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Adam, this is what you NEED. 392ci fuel injected HEMI.
    That engine doesn't look like it's been modified for the marine market, and if if hasn't, it will die in short order. Car and truck engines don't last in a boat without serious changes.

Adam is on the right track though. Get the bugs worked out of the existing running gear first and see how it performs; then worry about upgrades. Looks like there's lots of room to install a larger engine, though he may need some custom exhaust work if he goes with a real monster. (Those through-hull fittings look awfully close together!)

For the record, that flame suppressor you see atop the carb was standard on boats through 1995, as my Bayliner had the exact same unit. No big deal. Marine carbs are modified so any fuel blow out leaks back inside the carb rather than outside like on a car.

The guy you mentioned who lost the barefoot boat: did he have a marine carb on it, or was it an automotive unit? I can't tell you the number of times I've seen a boat on the water that had been worked on by an automotive mechanic who wasn't aware of the differences between a marine carb and an automotive one. The US Coast Guard *requires* the use of marine carbs, but many people are ignorant of this fact.

I've heard of older big blocks rolling in reverse for up to one full revolution when starting (especially with hot cams installed), but never in the marine market. As for fuel being blown out of the carb, the only time I've ever heard of that happening was when there was a pre-ignition in the intake manifold. But that was due to a faulty cooling system *and* a leaking exhaust manifold. (And in that case you've got some very big problems indeed...)

Adam

^^ @ Adam, I have no idea what carb the guy had on there, but he is a Ford car mechanic with a highly modifed car so there is every chance that he had modified that beast (and it was f***in' beast!) ^^

I still stand by my statement that an appropriately sized inlet plenum will reduce standoff, increase torque and improve bottom end pickup (even with the flame arrestor in place).
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Default skip the big blocks

skip all that big block stuff and go for one of these puppies
    you know you want too

jet engine is the way to go

any ways you are still a lucky b******d i would die to have a boat again

sweeeet boat man!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jet engine.jpg  

When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

What is that, a gas turbine? Does it run the prop or shoot thrust straight out the back ??

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    an appropriately sized inlet plenum will reduce standoff, increase torque and improve bottom end pickup (even with the flame arrestor in place).
    Oh I agree there. You can get a lot more out of an engine just by playing with manifolds. When I rebuilt the 4.3 V6 in my boat, I replaced the stock single-plane manifold with a modified dual-plane model out of a Crusader inboard engine. It really helped my bottom-end performance, especially when pulling a skier. I lost 100 RPM on the top end, but it was worth it. (Plus I was a tad high anyway at 4700; bringing it down to around 4600 was perfect for that engine and prop combination.)

Adam

Looks like a fun boat. Don't spend too much time working on it when you can enjoy riding in it like it is.

Default prop

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    What is that, a gas turbine? Does it run the prop or shoot thrust straight out the back ??
    it runs the prop . Its an old turbine from a helicopter
    Look on youtube loads of vids on jet powerd boats
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.