Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 445 Different wavelengths - possible easy way to find higher wavelength diodes

I remember correctly, the wavelength dependence of the blue diodes is much less than for red ones; for red ones it is typically 0.3nm/C while for blue ones it is like one-fifth of that. I may run a test in the next couple of days to verify this for the blue Casios.

At any rate, Tec cooling/heating a diode for wavelenght shift is hardly worthwile because you could barely see any difference (unless you cool/heat by several tens of degrees which is not advisable).

As for the title of the thread.. .. why bother if you can't decide it by the naked eye?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlumX View Post
    I remember correctly, the wavelength dependence of the blue diodes is much less than for red ones; for red ones it is typically 0.3nm/C while for blue ones it is like one-fifth of that. I may run a test in the next couple of days to verify this for the blue Casios.

At any rate, Tec cooling/heating a diode for wavelenght shift is hardly worthwile because you could barely see any difference (unless you cool/heat by several tens of degrees which is not advisable).
    OK, if the amount of shift on the Casio diodes is that little, it really is not worth it. With the LOC diodes, it's easier because chilling them down 50 degrees (which is achievable with a big TEC) will yield a lot more visible red.

Well, cooling 50 degrees... I run regularly into condensation problems at around 15C or so, when it's hot outside. Cooling by 50C really would require a hermetically sealed dry atmosphere, professional mounts have an inlet for nitrogen for that purpose.... did anybody really ever do that outside of a lab? There is always a big difference about theory and how it works in practice...