Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 400mW RED Prototype

Quote Originally Posted by LaserLover
    Also note I measured 400 mw right at the output. The picture on the wall is at least 12 feet from the laser and power drops off exponentially as per the inverse square law
    Rick, the inverse square law assumes a divergent light source. (Either a point source or a spherical one.) :?

A laser beam has extremely low divergence. You will still have 400 mw at 12 feet from the laser. In fact, assuming that you've got less than 2 mrad of divergence, you'll still have 400 mw at around 50 feet from the laser. Beyond that, the beam may have widened just enough that it won't all fit on the aperature of your power meter. (Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the opening is around 1 cm in diameter.)

Still, even when the beam has expanded to larger than 1 cm, most of the power is concentrated in the center of the beam, so you won't loose all that much power if you loose a few mm around the edges.

The most likely reason that the beam looks dim in the picture is that 1) the lighs were on, 2) the air is clean, and 3) the beam is moving away from the camera. (# 2 and # 3 work together. Small particles, ie fog and haze, tend to scatter in shallow angles along the propagation path, while larger particles, ie visible dust, tend to scatter in wider angles up to and including 180 degrees from the propagation path. If you lived in a dusty warehouse, then the beam would have looked better from the vantage point you took the picture from.)

Nonetheless, I thought it looked pretty cool. I especially like the idea of mounting the two modules side by side like that. Looks like you nailed the alignment of the two perfectly!

Adam

I've been making good progress on my RGB projector. I have mounts for all the lasers and the 6215 scanners and have the 2 200mW red lasers combined:

I've got the yellow dichro and blue laser aligned with the red beam which makes a pinkish violet:

Tomorrow I should have the green in the mix and with luck my new scanners will also arrive. More pix then.

Kevin

looking good!
    Similar beam path to mine, but i have greenat the back and red at the from, with blue going in the midle when i get it!
    CREATIVITY AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT!
    www.laser-ad.com

is there any update on the price for 2x200mW red ones, with a combiner Qube ?

I`m planning to buy soon and need to know if there is a deal on the price
    PM me...

Turns out my Laser Quantum 200mW laser is a $3000 boat anchor...

Fortunately, I have a 100mW Aixix laser here and so I've installed it and gotten my first white light:

Tomorrow I'll wire up the 6215 scanners...

Default Re: 400mW RED Prototype

Quote Originally Posted by marconi
    Its far from finished.. but here's a Peek
    Where did you get those brass diode mounts from? I have seen them before but cannot any more figure out, where. I am looking for small mounts incl collimator that can be put on a TEC.
    -W

Hi Red...

PM me and I will let you know..

The brass mount is the cheap part.
    The lens and diode mounts are quite costly...
    Good luck and have fun
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Default 400mw

I purchased 2 of those 200's from maxyz a few months ago...

A beamsplitter I found on ebay from DVD-R drive worked great to combine the 2 beams. I mounted the little cube (only about 2.5mm) on an MM2 mount wich made it quite easy to align.

Unfortunately, the beamsplitter helped me destroy both modules at once with back-reflection. That makes a total of 3 I've killed that way. :-(

Be very careful with these.

It was beautiful while it lasted!

Hi Todd
    Yep...some of those DVD drive beamsplitters have too much reflection
    one side is coated for 780nm..the other for 650.

We sent you an email...
    Send them on back...
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

I sent 'em back this week.

You guys are great to be willing to do the repar job for so little! Hopefully this will be the last time ;-)

As for the setup, it was not actually reflection off the cube that did it... There was a 10 sided polygon mirror that sent the beam back to the cube. The cube was now behaving as a splitter and divided the back-reflected beam to both lasers, killing them simeltaneously.