Thread: An introduction and my first RGB build progress...

Default An introduction and my first RGB build progress...

Hey guys, well first off I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Paul and I've been lurking around for a few months now reading, and reading on lasers and scanning since I got hooked on the idea after seeing the Paramount Laser spectacular Pink Floyd show last year. I've always loved lasers. I was one of the first to actually own a 5mw red pointer back when they were very rare (and cost well over $100) back over 15 years ago.

So here I am now. I live in Cincinnati, OH (any fellow PR-ers nearby??) and am an avid tinkerer with electronics, machining, cars, etc. I figured I would have no trouble building one of these. Well... after all the reading I was slightly intimidated but nothing I couldn't handle. About 2 months ago I began the search and purchase of parts. First thing I realized is it is not that simple and requires parts and parts from all over the world. Oh and this is no cheap hobby! I wanted to keep it under $500 in the beginning, ha! Then I upped my budget to $1000 but to date I'm already over $1500! Yikes, don't tell the lady...

I started with purchasing some galvos (PT-30k), a few 445nm diodes, Flexmod (thanks Drlava!), Aixiz modules, and iShow (yeah i know). Had a blast working with the 445nm diodes but in the process blew one from a voltage spike. I was able to display a ILDA test frame but looked like crap with iShow. From then I knew I needed to get a better DAC. I bought Audiolase from Adam (Thanks, 300Evil) and Spaghetti but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. In the meantime I bought a DPSS 532nm from triangle lights since it had decent reviews for the money. I also bought a few 815 sleds to make red. Still waiting for those to show up. I then needed to order some dichros and mounts and mirrors. I contacted Dave from Lasershowparts in Australia and placed an order for those (thanks Dave!)

Now I needed a nice case to keep everything safe. I scrounged around work to see if I could find on old piece of equipment I could salvage the case from but no luck. Then I thought about using a computer case. Nah, that would just look tacky. Edison was selling some sweet cases but a bit too expensive for my budget. I found a company that makes Al enclosures but only up to 8" wide. At first I thought that was going to be too small but figured out a way to mount everything in a 8x6x14 case (Width-height-length) so I bought one. Then I needed a nice solid baseplate. Went back and forth between 1/4" and 3/8" (~7mm vs. ~10mm). Went with 3/8 6061. Had to buy a set stock so it needed to be milled down. Luckily I have a little mill converted to CNC (a project a few years back) It wasn't really big enough to do 14" passes to I had to do that dimension in 2 sets (re-positioning it on the table). Here are some pics of the my progress, enjoy!

Mounting base plate on milling machine:

Milling to dimension:

Measuring, drilling and tapping of base plate:

Drilling of 445nm ld mount just after milling (crappy iPhone pic):

Rough setup in case:

I still have quite a bit more to finish but I just can’t wait to get this thing running! I’ll keep updating as I get more done.

Welcome and you are off to a great start.

Hi Paul.
    Welcome to PL. You look like you are off to a very good start mate. Well done. I will be keeping a close eye on the build.

Jim
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

WOW! Nice work!

Yeah, it's an expensive hobby but the projector you build will be 100X better than any unit you'll pickup in China. I can't wait to see how it looks when you're done!

Welcome here!

That seems a very good start for a first projector! Damn I would love to own a milling machine in my garage, would be a lot easier and fast to drill holes with the right spacing than with my drill press I should find an X/Y table to retrofit it...

Welcome aboard and nice work
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Hey Paul-

Off to a great start. Looks like you have a very neat and well planned out first projector on the way. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more pics of your build.

Welcome to PL by the way! glad to have you here!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems