Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one with Lasorb issues/comments ?

Default Any one with Lasorb issues/comments ?

Just taking a bit of a survey.......wondering.......waiting...........
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

I popped a 640 diode in a Laserwave head with a Lasorb attached.

If we're looking for fault; it was my fault because i didn't follow proper ESD procedure. If we're looking for blame; I'll split it with substandard workmanship of the Laserwave module and myself for not paying attention.

Having said that and having seen Lasorb video with the oudin coil, I can't help but wonder. I do feel like in other cases a lasorb has saved my ass.

Dunno.

What's your experience been?

I am running 4 in my quad red. Have not had a failure yet, but then I have never killed a diode due to ESD before anyways.

Tip: They only work optimally when connected as close to the LD as possible.

Some claim they are pointless on cheap diodes. Personally, it's cheap insurance.
    This space for rent.

Default lasorbs

i have lasorbs in a six 642 diode setup managed to blow two diodes
    both from dumb ass mistakes , one i connected the driver to the diode/lasorb the wrong way round ,some one said to me even though i had done that the lasorb shoud have conducted and saved the diode they said somthing about reverse bias,but i dont even know what that is i can build electronic kits but know nothing about the theory side of it , the other i am not too sure about but i must of some how grounded the diode mount when tweeking the drive current.
    i always use esd precautions when working on my projector.
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post

Tip: They only work optimally when connected as close to the LD as possible.
    Although I don't build, from what I've read on the data sheets, I believe its within 10mm.

Also its important to use the right lasorb for the right job, there are 4 varieties:

Its also important to note that they only protect against ESD. ie fast rising events. A slow rising current eg such as that cause by a driver fault or poorly regulated driver that results in a supply of over current will not be protected.

I believe that's why Pangolin are currently working on a new laser driver design, because the amount of laser diode failures through poor quality drivers is on the rise.

I'm sure the Lasorb is better than Zero protection...

I blew some expensive high power LDs last year using
    the Lasorb after talking to the owner to make sure we
    ordered and used the correct ones for our application.

Good ESD practices still need to be followed even when
    using a proper Lasorb...

IMO... I think the Video and mystique of the Lasorb brings
    a false sense of ESD security/protection to the user....

I haven't bought one or used one since and I also have not
    blown any more Laser Diodes...

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

I don't doubt that they work but I wonder if they are really necessary.

I have built a few lasers through the years...even a 473nm unit....but this has happened for the second time. I have a pair of 3M ESD workstations and all ESD safety tools for the task for a while...and replace consumables as per manu's suggestions. The thing is that Bill has replied to me almost instantly...now that is support...Thanks!!!! He said that they are working on a better solution for this....I will allow him to let the cat out of the bag there. Another diode was connected to the same driver and setup, minus the ailing Lasorb about an hour later, and it worked no issues{LOC}. I looked at it and there was nothing strange with the startup voltage/current on scope....will look at the output from the regulated PSU today...that has served well for years no issue. True.. there are a lot of lasers I have built with the Lasorb attached directly to the diode pins as always. I know that has kept a safe invironment for the diode. A bullet proof vest as Bill calls it. But as he said...it doesn't protect from land mines. That is when I intended to look more closely at the sources of power coming to the diode today. Even the AC mains lines....
    I am thinking of a complete battery of tests with a substitue diode before actually using the intended diode for a build now. A pre laser diode diode. Bottom line for me now....test everything twice, and then again. But this is all part of the challenge right? Here is a thought....static charges in airborne particulates....dust .... what if...I was told even insects have the ability to carry static charges....
    Maybe time to replace the APC power conditioner in that room....just how much more careful do we need to be
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I have never killed a diode due to ESD before anyways.
    Call Guinness! We have a new record!

Seriously, I think just about everyone here has blown at least one diode. I've probably killed at least a half-dozen, if not more. The only reason I stopped killing them is because I quit in frustration!

But yeah, those damn blu-ray diodes would fry if you looked at them cross-ways. (Or so it seemed.)

Consider yourself very fortunate if you've never lost a diode. That's really uncommon!

Adam

I am sure I will get massively flamed for this..... I will not buy any "magical" electronic component. If the manufacture can't disclose whats is inside then its an empty box as far as I am concerned.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to discredit the lasorb product in any way. I am not saying that one should not buy the product. I am not saying the product doesn't work as the manufacture states. This is my opinion only.