Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those of you Jobhunting, Like Me!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default For those of you Jobhunting, Like Me!

Something to think about. This Mitch Fortner guy has it pegged.

Quoted from a blog some place:

Recently, I was told by a commenter on my blog that we are in the worst economic crisis this country has EVER seen. Whether or not this is true, it has made it extremely difficult to find a job. You have all read the stories; people with degrees working jobs well below their pay grade just to survive. With so many unemployed, searching for a job has become almost impossible. But there is something else that is causing a major problem in the job hunt as well…
    THE INTERNET.
    What? You say. How could the internet, the greatest invention in the history of inventions, be the problem? The internet makes it so easy to go online and fill out an application. I can send my resume to so many different places, all from the comfort of my own computer chair.
    Exactly.
    Companies these days are flooded with resumes. People send out there resume to every company they can, qualified or not. It takes no effort, other than the ability to repeatedly fill out personal information, and possibly create a login and password. It gives companies the opportunity to hand pick whoever they want out of a virtual stack of resumes. Even worse, it causes companies to get so frustrated with the amount of applicants, that they ignore it all together and go with someone in-house or someone they know on a personal level. To land a job with a respectable company you have to know someone, now more than ever.
    Recently I printed out 58 resumes on nice resume paper and set out on foot to a local area filled with top notch businesses determined to give my resume to someone important, and to put a face ( a pretty nice face if I do say so myself) with the resume as well.
    I could barely get in the front door. By business number five I was finished. All I was getting were locked doors with access codes, and security guards staring at me with puzzled looks on their faces telling me to apply online. I wasted my time and I blame the internet.
    Don’t get me wrong I freaking love the internet, more than you probably. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a downside, and that downside is getting a job I can wake up to every morning and enjoy going to without knowing half the people that work at a place before I get an interview.
    The information overload has caused people to become one huddled mass, there is no personal feel to the job search, and it destroys the chances of those of us who feel they stand out because of not just their qualifications, but their ability to make a good first impression.
    Mitch Fortner is a graduate of Florida State University with a Bachelor’s in English Literature.

END QUOTE

Steve

Good luck with the job hunting.

In terms of economics, this may interest (and offend) you at the same time. The US Dollar and what is now happening, and whats to come.

Gold and Silver... Buy it now!

http://www.stansberryresearch.com/pr...VD/PPSIM310/PR

I'll PM you for your resume, I am looking for developers currently, location is of little concern.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Gold and Silver... Buy it now!
    Yeah, ain't that the truth... I'm *so* glad I never dumped the silver I inherited from Grampa... just might keep the Fam out from under the overpass in the coming meltdown... Ya try to 'be positive', but ya also gotta be alert-enough to avoid drinking the 'kool-aid'...

Thanks fer the linky-poo...
    ciao
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Yeah, ain't that the truth... I'm *so* glad I never dumped the silver I inherited from Grampa... just might keep the Fam out from under the overpass in the coming meltdown... Ya try to 'be positive', but ya also gotta be alert-enough to avoid drinking the 'kool-aid'...

Thanks fer the linky-poo...
    ciao
    j
    The bugger here in Australia is that when ever the US economy suffers, so do we.

Did you watch the entire video? It is VERY long, but full of great advise.
    This space for rent.

Thumbs up

The bugger here in Australia is that when ever the US economy suffers, so do we.
    Yeah, seems the US Gov is both a blessing *and* a curse to the world, not just 'us'.... usually, the latter...

Did you watch the entire video? It is VERY long, but full of great advise.
    I did, and I'm not gonna miss-out on subscribing to his newsletter, again - cold, hard facts, and very sound logic - and it's not like he's saying 'go sell your house and car and move to a cave in the mountains with an ak-47' - his advice would be sage, even if things somehow 'magically turned-around'... (which they won't...

..like he said, (imo) it's not a matter of 'if', but *when*, and *how bad* - just like what poor Japan is 'teaching us' right now... you can (almost) really never be 'too-prepared', ya know? He could-be off - but, then, again - just like those giant 'foreshocks', in the couple-days preceding the 'big-one', other there - it might just be about almost 'too late to get out' if we don't act *now* / have some sort of plan... "normalcy bias" - brilliant and so-true... Mt. St. Helens, Katrina, etc, etc, etc...

...Oi, the more we learn, the more we see just how little we know...
    cheers...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

And, the evidence is all around. Just look at the financial situation of many states...

I did some checking the other day, China is getting out of USD quick smart. That says a lot right there!

I caught a protest broadcast here the other day from Madison, scary facts! Michael Moor stated the richest 400 people in the US have more wealth than 150,000,000 Americans!!!! WTF?
    This space for rent.

"I caught a protest broadcast here the other day from Madison, scary facts! Michael Moor stated the richest 400 people in the US have more wealth than 150,000,000 Americans!!!! WTF?"

I have a friend who works for Lowry Hill a division of Wells Fargo. A few years ago you needed 10 million to even open an account there... now it's 50 million to walk in the door!

People nowadays have no idea of how rich the 'rich' actually are... In the past 10 years the uber wealthy have become very rich while at the same time the middle class has been disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by hologeek View Post
    "I caught a protest broadcast here the other day from Madison, scary facts! Michael Moor stated the richest 400 people in the US have more wealth than 150,000,000 Americans!!!! WTF?"

I have a friend who works for Lowry Hill a division of Wells Fargo. A few years ago you needed 10 million to even open an account there... now it's 50 million to walk in the door!

People nowadays have no idea of how rich the 'rich' actually are... In the past 10 years the uber wealthy have become very rich while at the same time the middle class has been disappearing.
    I hear you. The broadcast I viewed the other day from Wisconsin spoke of the inhalation of the middle class, though Government manipulation... Here in Aus, I am glad we have free speech and the Government is accountable.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Something to think about. This Mitch Fortner guy has it pegged.

Quoted from a blog some place:

Recently, I was told by a commenter on my blog that we are in the worst economic crisis this country has EVER seen. Whether or not this is true, it has made it extremely difficult to find a job. You have all read the stories; people with degrees working jobs well below their pay grade just to survive. With so many unemployed, searching for a job has become almost impossible. But there is something else that is causing a major problem in the job hunt as well…
    THE INTERNET.
    What? You say. How could the internet, the greatest invention in the history of inventions, be the problem? The internet makes it so easy to go online and fill out an application. I can send my resume to so many different places, all from the comfort of my own computer chair.
    Exactly.
    Companies these days are flooded with resumes. People send out there resume to every company they can, qualified or not. It takes no effort, other than the ability to repeatedly fill out personal information, and possibly create a login and password. It gives companies the opportunity to hand pick whoever they want out of a virtual stack of resumes. Even worse, it causes companies to get so frustrated with the amount of applicants, that they ignore it all together and go with someone in-house or someone they know on a personal level. To land a job with a respectable company you have to know someone, now more than ever.
    Recently I printed out 58 resumes on nice resume paper and set out on foot to a local area filled with top notch businesses determined to give my resume to someone important, and to put a face ( a pretty nice face if I do say so myself) with the resume as well.
    I could barely get in the front door. By business number five I was finished. All I was getting were locked doors with access codes, and security guards staring at me with puzzled looks on their faces telling me to apply online. I wasted my time and I blame the internet.
    Don’t get me wrong I freaking love the internet, more than you probably. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a downside, and that downside is getting a job I can wake up to every morning and enjoy going to without knowing half the people that work at a place before I get an interview.
    The information overload has caused people to become one huddled mass, there is no personal feel to the job search, and it destroys the chances of those of us who feel they stand out because of not just their qualifications, but their ability to make a good first impression.
    Mitch Fortner is a graduate of Florida State University with a Bachelor’s in English Literature.

END QUOTE

Steve
    Hey Steve...
    Hope you land one soon....

Just some friendly advise....
    I would call (by phone) the companies that interest you and ask to speak
    to the Personnel Manager and fix an interview appointment...
    If the company needs employees... he/she would be the one to know
    and ask...

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

I have to agree that the internet indeed makes normal job applying more and more difficult.
    However you can also use the internet in your advantage.

IF you are skilled or really talented in something, that you really are convinced of is special you can also promote yourself.
    And if you are able to (with your skill and all) freelancing is always a nice way to make money or build up a reputation or an nice amount for investing in creating your own bussiness.

It's still not easy though, however times are sadly getting different, if you don't adapt you can get left out, it's really sad to say that but it's true.