Thread: Why is glass transparent?

Default Why is glass transparent?

Think you know? If google searches gave you the answer then you may be wrong.

Check this out.

http://www.sixtysymbols.com/videos/energygap.htm
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Think you know? If google searches gave you the answer then you may be wrong.

Check this out.

http://www.sixtysymbols.com/videos/energygap.htm
    Very interesting.... I didn't exactly know that...
    Thanks for posting it...

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Thank you for posting.

So now I know the reason I can't make it through the day - I have too much energy
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

So now I wonder what the arrangement of electrons has to do with reflection... when obviously very little energy is absorbed nor transmitted.

So now thinking about open air, is that the same reason why we can see through open air?

N2, Co2, and O2 have energy levels that are too high when they are in a gaseous state?

Quote Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
    So now I wonder what the arrangement of electrons has to do with reflection... when obviously very little energy is absorbed nor transmitted.

So now thinking about open air, is that the same reason why we can see through open air?

N2, Co2, and O2 have energy levels that are too high when they are in a gaseous state?
    N2 and CO2 have energy gaps, but O2 actually has one that is small enough to absorb visible light. If you search for images of liquid oxygen you'll see that it is in fact blue. The absorption is rather weak though and since the density of a gas is much lower than that of a solid very little light is actually absorbed by oxygen in the atmosphere. This absorption isn't even the reason the sky is blue.

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    N2 and CO2 have energy gaps, but O2 actually has one that is small enough to absorb visible light. If you search for images of liquid oxygen you'll see that it is in fact blue. The absorption is rather weak though and since the density of a gas is much lower than that of a solid very little light is actually absorbed by oxygen in the atmosphere. This absorption isn't even the reason the sky is blue.
    True, rayleigh scattering is responsible for blue skies.
    This space for rent.

Anyone ever hear of MIT professor Dr. Walter Lewin?

This is one of my favorite lectures of his, he has great demos and provides great insight into how these ordinary facts are derived.

Let him teach you a thing or two about rainbows, that you probably didn't know before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJVvtOy-ukE