Thread: Modulating analog signal in DFB

Default Modulating analog signal in DFB

Hi guys, I am very new to this forum and its great to have a forum on laser.

Anyways, I am currently working on DFB lasers. My application field is Radio-over-fiber.

The question is, Im looking forward to purchase a DFB laser. But most of them are for digital application. Where it specificies the bandwidth in every DFB laser as 2.5 Gbps, or more.

So I understand that this is for digital. Only few I can find for analogue application where they specify the bandwidth as the frequency, like 1 GHz.

So what I dont understand is, can we modulate the digital DFB laser with an analogue signal? Cause I have an analogue signal centered at 2.7 GHz with 20 MHz bandwidth. I need to directly modulate them into a DFB laser. So please advice if I can use a DFB laser mend for digital application for this?

Thank you very much.

It is possible to modulate most DFB lasers in the analog mode, however the ones designed for digital work are not characterized with respect to wavelength shift/linearity/etc.

Emcore has some that are characterized for analog modulation at http://emcore.com/fiber_optics/laser...rs_photodiodes I may still have a few of their analog modulatable DFBs at 1550nm available, I will have to double check next week.

Krazer, thanks very much for your reply. I will wait for your response then. Thanks a lot.