Thread: Once again, looking for an opinion...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Once again, looking for an opinion...

One of my next projects is going to be a projector strictly dedicated to graphics. The basis for building the graphics box is a 200mW 473. For those of you with Chroma, or better yet, real life experience, what wavelength(s) and powers of red should I be looking for and how much 532 to match? I'm still not totally clear on the merits and downsides of each frequency of red. I think its:

635 -?

640 - tight beam, orangey, don't need as much power for visability, most expensive

650 - huge beam, nice bright color, cheap for lotsa power, losses stem from beams being larger than most galvo mirrors - doesn't mix well with other reds

660 - little better beam but not as good as 640, nice darker color, more mid priced, mixes well with 640 but requires an expensive dichro, not as good on it's own due to being dim

Anyway.. thoughts on wavelengths and powers are what I'm fishing for...

Thanks!

I should state my thoughs are: 400mW of 640 and 100mW of 532. Good? Bad? Right/wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    One of my next projects is going to be a projector strictly dedicated to graphics. The basis for building the graphics box is a 200mW 473. For those of you with Chroma, or better yet, real life experience, what wavelength(s) and powers of red should I be looking for and how much 532 to match? I'm still not totally clear on the merits and downsides of each frequency of red. I think its:

635 -?

640 - tight beam, orangey, don't need as much power for visability, most expensive

650 - huge beam, nice bright color, cheap for lotsa power, losses stem from beams being larger than most galvo mirrors - doesn't mix well with other reds

660 - little better beam but not as good as 640, nice darker color, more mid priced, mixes well with 640 but requires an expensive dichro, not as good on it's own due to being dim

Anyway.. thoughts on wavelengths and powers are what I'm fishing for...

Thanks!

I should state my thoughs are: 400mW of 640 and 100mW of 532. Good? Bad? Right/wrong?
    660 = just as tight beam as 640 use the search function and you will see
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Although 640 can be very tight I do like 650 because of how it mixes with other colours.
    635 can also be very tight... according to our newest development.
    New 637 goes to production soon as well - great results!

660 - far too dark.

I think anyway..

for graphics 660 is nice but not bright enough... I would do 642nm personally... 650 is too big and will make your image look "fuzzy"

also happens at higher powers... my 1.2W kvant has 4 individual beams (2x2) that make images with red look like they have multiple lines

How about ratios though? Considering it will have a 200mW 473... what should I be considering as powers for the green and the red. (Let's use 640/642 for example.)

I know you're always supposed to have more red. Is 400 red, 200 blue and 100 green a good mix? Should the green and blue be closer together - say 200/200 or 200/150?

If you used around 300mW of 642 and 150mW of 532 you wouldn't be far off a nice white.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    If you used around 300mW of 642 and 150mW of 532 you wouldn't be far off a nice white.
    I say try to keep red one polarity if possible then add a quad of 660 with a PBS.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    also happens at higher powers... my 1.2W kvant has 4 individual beams (2x2) that make images with red look like they have multiple lines
    This doesn't happen anymore - new design produces nice circular profile.

If I were building low power balanced laser (let's say 1W RGB) I would go for something like 400nm 640nm, 250mW 532nm, 500mW 445nm. Considering some losses on the optics this could make nice 1W of white.

But trying to match these or other ratios could be quite tricky... Isn't it much easier to adjust the colour balance exactly right through the software?

@ Martin. Yes, I suppose it is. I don't disagree with your reccomendations but, I already have the 200mW of 473 that's earmarked for this build so I need to stick with what will go well with it. Of course.... I suppose a little 445 added in isn't necessarily a bad thing but will ramp up the amount (and cost) for the eventual red and green.