Thread: Firing up a little argon?

Default Firing up a little argon?

Hey guys, well I've given up on my old switchmode power supply that was blown, and bought a Uniphase 2111 power supply from daguin. I've wired up the essential connections (SHorted interlock, cathode(s), anode, ground) and the tube tries to start. I can see very brief flashes (What a beautiful colour!), however, the tube won't actually stay lit.

I have pins 1 and 3, and 2 and 13 shorted on the DB25 connector, but thats it.

The tube has been sitting around for a very long time, and has quite a few hours on it, but it's so tempted to start I'm not sure what the problem could be. Maybe the idle current is too low for this tube? Should I connect a pot up to control the current and push it a little until it stays?

I'll mention that I'm NOT using the ignitor for this PSU. I do have it, but I am using the ignitor on the tube itself. I am told that this ignitor detects when the voltage is floating, and tries to arc the tube. Once it does, it detects the voltage drop, and stops trying.

I have a video I'm uploading now.

Can't wait to get it going!

Cheers,
    Dan

Just reading the FAQ (About the model 2214 power supply, which is supposedly the same), it says the PSU brings the current right up while trying to start the tube anyway.

Not sure what I need to do to get it to stay lit? Turn its fan off and leave the filament going for a while to warm everything up and try again?

Cheers,
    Dan

Sorry for the triple post, but I've got it working

Instead of posting everything here, you can read about it here:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f43/fi...gon-62176.html

Cheers,
    Dan