Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QS2/FB3: Only course adjustment for Rotation in Zone Properties

Default QS2/FB3: Only course adjustment for Rotation in Zone Properties

Hi Laserists,

Wandering if anyone else is experiencing only fairly course adjustment of the Rotation settings in Zone Setup properties?

I like to align my two scanners so that patterns touch and intersect - flat sheets from one projector merging with the adjacent projector perfectly.

The although it seems to be possible to adjust in 0.1 increments of degree in the rotation settings, the rotation appears to jump after every so many values with almost only whole degree increments.

Is this a limitation of QS2/FB3 or will this improve if I move up to LivePro?

Cheers

JaseFOS

hey mate,

next time I fire up live pro I can check for you...

i wouldn't be making massive rotational adjustments in the zone page if you can possibly avoid it as you lose your corners when you do it...unless of course you shrink the projection zone

cheers

aij-
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Can't you adjust the position in the cues rather than fine tune in the Zone Properties?

What I would try (can't be more definite than this as I don't have a laser to check with) is I would create a new category page and call it Merged Fans or something similar. The create a sub page called "Components 1".

I'd then copy each of the required fans across into slots on the sub page (we're adjusting these so as to leave the originals intact).

Then what I'd do is select multi-cue, and project both fans. If they don't meet, go into the editor and select "Position" and move the cue's starting position. By doing this a little to each cue you should be able to even out the offset between them. When they meet in the editor you should be good to go although you could always adjust in Zone Properties later.

Personally I'd tend towards adjusting the cues simply because if you want to display any other cues in those zones that don't require an offset, then if you make the adjustment to the zone, you'll offset all including those you want straight.

BTW if you can't see because of the angle of the fan to make the adjustment, when you come out of the editor to view the cues, go to the position control in the Live Editor on the right hand side of the main QS window and move the position either straight up or down until you have an angle that allows you to see what you need to see.

As this adjustment is only temporary, it won't affect the final cue once reset.

Hope this suggestion is of some help.

LivePro only supports rotation in whole number increments, although the scale does show to 1 decimal place (essentially pointless, but I guess it's beause other zones do have fine increments)
    Why not contact Pangolin and ask them about it, and ask if it can an enhancement for future release? certainly seems a better option than long winded workarounds to me.
    Don't forget, if they don't get customer feedback (not just bug reports) threy don't know what people find useful!
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    LivePro only supports rotation in whole number increments, although the scale does show to 1 decimal place (essentially pointless, but I guess it's beause other zones do have fine increments)
    Why not contact Pangolin and ask them about it, and ask if it can an enhancement for future release? certainly seems a better option than long winded workarounds to me.
    Don't forget, if they don't get customer feedback (not just bug reports) threy don't know what people find useful!
    pretty sure LivePRO is frozen

Default Re: QS2/FB3: Only course adjustment for Rotation in Zone Properties

Thanks for all the replies guys and apologies for disappearing from the forum for a few days.

Regarding the "don't do too much rotation"- roger that - Indeed the corners get distorted but I shrink the size of the zone to suit so I don't get image distortion and have been satisfied with that (although in smaller rooms it is a bigger annoyance). I've been experimenting with hanging lightweight picture frames above the dance floor with netting fabric secured inside the frame and hanging these with fishing wire in a semi scattered and random manner and targeting these for graphic zones. This is another compelling reason for finer rotation zone adjustment .... and many more zones than what QS2 offers (15 of the 30 zone are consumed in mirroring my pair of RGB projectors).

RE: White Light's suggestion.
    Indeed that is a great idea however I'd prefer to maintain the geometric integrity at Cue level (i.e. keeping flat fans parallel for example) and instead let the Zones take care of the finer alignment.

RE: Norty303.
    Agreed - without feedback the applications won't get any better. In my day job I represent a few music production software brands and see the benefits of quality customer feedback and beta testing. I'm hoping the same happens in camp-Pangolin however I'm new around here! Is it my imagination or is LivePro stuck in a timewarp? Since Pangolin doesn't offer a demo version of LivePro which will actually talk to my scanners there is no means of finding out for myself that the Zone Rotation offers no improvement compared with Quickshow2. While I'm feeling the limits of what is possible with Quickshow2, more and more I'm finding the same limitations in Quickshow2 are still prevalent in LivePro which is increasing my reluctance to upgrade.

I guess I'll just hold out until the next major revamp happens for LivePro.

Quote Originally Posted by JaseFOS View Post
    Hi Laserists,

Wandering if anyone else is experiencing only fairly course adjustment of the Rotation settings in Zone Setup properties?

I like to align my two scanners so that patterns touch and intersect - flat sheets from one projector merging with the adjacent projector perfectly.

The although it seems to be possible to adjust in 0.1 increments of degree in the rotation settings, the rotation appears to jump after every so many values with almost only whole degree increments.

Is this a limitation of QS2/FB3 or will this improve if I move up to LivePro?

Cheers

JaseFOS
    Solution:
    1.adjust your zones so they nearly hit eachother.
    2.leave the squares visible.
    3. Move or turn your projector just a bit.

The reason why they chose not to do that is so you arent't messing up too much when adjusting the angle by having the smaller value's left out so you can set your zones up quicker.

I'm hoping the same happens in camp-Pangolin however I'm new around here! Is it my imagination or is LivePro stuck in a timewarp? Since Pangolin doesn't offer a demo version of LivePro which will actually talk to my scanners there is no means of finding out for myself that the Zone Rotation offers no improvement compared with Quickshow2. While I'm feeling the limits of what is possible with Quickshow2, more and more I'm finding the same limitations in Quickshow2 are still prevalent in LivePro which is increasing my reluctance to upgrade.

Pangolin are very good with feedback and customer contact. Not many companies let you contact the CEO directly!!

One word - "Beyond" (its their new software under development - just in case you haven't read of its existence).

Beyond that (bad pun intended ), I don't know whats actually in there only that it is going to be a level way above QS in control.

I would suggest that if something isn't being developed further, there may be reasons why...but I could be wrong.

An announcement will be made at the Prolight & Sound Exhibition that will hopefully clear everything up for all of us.

Btw Jase, why the picture frames? If you want to make a feature of them then fair enough, (visially in use they should look great but I just wonder when not in use), however you can hang scrim by simply weighting the bottom hem indoors. Several people on here do it.

Thanks for all the replies guys and apologies for disappearing from the forum for a few days.

Regarding the "don't do too much rotation"- roger that - Indeed the corners get distorted but I shrink the size of the zone to suit so I don't get image distortion and have been satisfied with that (although in smaller rooms it is a bigger annoyance). I've been experimenting with hanging lightweight picture frames above the dance floor with netting fabric secured inside the frame and hanging these with fishing wire in a semi scattered and random manner and targeting these for graphic zones. This is another compelling reason for finer rotation zone adjustment .... and many more zones than what QS2 offers (15 of the 30 zone are consumed in mirroring my pair of RGB projectors).

RE: White Light's suggestion.
    Indeed that is a great idea however I'd prefer to maintain the geometric integrity at Cue level (i.e. keeping flat fans parallel for example) and instead let the Zones take care of the finer alignment.

RE: Norty303.
    Agreed - without feedback the applications won't get any better. In my day job I represent a few music production software brands and see the benefits of quality customer feedback and beta testing. I'm hoping the same happens in camp-Pangolin however I'm new around here! Is it my imagination or is LivePro stuck in a timewarp? Since Pangolin doesn't offer a demo version of LivePro which will actually talk to my scanners there is no means of finding out for myself that the Zone Rotation offers no improvement compared with Quickshow2. While I'm feeling the limits of what is possible with Quickshow2, more and more I'm finding the same limitations in Quickshow2 are still prevalent in LivePro which is increasing my reluctance to upgrade.

As far as I know pangolin does do beta testing, but closed and very strict, asking for beta testing is never an option

I don't know about livepro, but as far as my knowledge with livepro go's (which isn't much) I bet livepro isn't stuck in a timewarp at all.
    I think livepro is just so... complete that it hardly needs constant improvement.

When i was sorting the last bug with LiveProUSB with Bill/Alexey, I did make a couple of enhancement requests to 'go on the list' which they acknowledged. At no point was it mentioned that nothing new would be coming to LP (re: frozen comment earlier) however I do get the sense that LP may well be surpassed as 'the' Pro level live performance tool by whatever Beyond brings to the table. As such, they may be reluctant to go too far with LP at this time, until they know whether it has a life 'beyond' Beyond...

I'm quite interested to hear what sort of deals might be available to users who've bought into the 'pro' line of software (e.g. LivePro) if Beyond does indeed become LivePro's replacement.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.