Thread: modulating a laser with analog signal at high speed!

Laser Warning modulating a laser with analog signal at high speed!

heyy,
    i am doing a project in which i am trying to transmit an analog video signal (NTSC) from a camera through a laser. i have designed the circuit but i am stuck with the modulation of the laser..
    i want to that if the lasers that have been designed to transmit a digital signal at high speed (e.g in 100,s of Mbps), can they be used to transmit an analog waveform (video signal in my case)??

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Yes, you need a Bias Tee at the sending end and a DC restorer and amplifier at the receiving end. The Bias T allows you to turn the laser on with a bit of constant current so its response is somewhat linear. The DC restorer circuit makes sure the sync pulse is correctly below ground level. A fiber video sender is available as a off the shelf module set. Nearly any small diode laser and some LEDs will do this.

Google "video over fiber"

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-20-2011 at 14:31.

Post thnkx mixedgas

yes Bias tee is one of the solution but i am using a buffer amplifier instead and my circuit is such that it performs the similar function of a bias tee without using one. i can show you my design if you are intrested.
    at the moment i have designed it such that the laser diode is biased at about 20mA RMS current. the problem is that the waveform has a maximum frequency component of about 3.75Mhz and i am not sure the diode that i am currently using can modulate it that fast cz its a locally available laser diode.
    i do have a better performance diodes, like VCSEL's and etc, that are designed for Tx of digital waveform at very high data rates but i am not sure if they can be used for Tx a video waveform as in my case (i.e 1Vp-p signal with max freq component at abt 4Mhz). can sumbody help me on tht plz??

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Most diodes can handle almost 1 Ghz with a proper driver. What is the part number and manufacturer?

Steve

i have got a number of diodes.. OPV310(optek),OPV314(OPTEK),ADL80Y01TL(LASER COMPONENTS)
    can you tel me one more thing.. the laser diodes that have a built in Automatic power control (APC) circuitry, can they be used for this purpose? i noe thats a silly question since a diode with built in APC will always try to normalize the current waveform hense distorting the waveshape but still i want to confirm if i am correct with this concept??

As Steve mentioned, a DC clamp is required to ensure the V sync pulse is at the correct DC level.

I designed a video DC clamp many years ago, let me see if I can dig it up for you.
    This space for rent.

Default need help

can someone plzz help me with the circuit of vdo transmission over laser media.....pretty urgent....
    email id:adi_rattlesnake316@yahoo.co.in
    will be greatful if helped
    thank u