Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 6 x LPC-826 build

Wink I hope I can make a quad that looks as "bad"...

Well, just like most of andy's; looks like crap... I'll make room at my house so you can send it over and try again.
    Last edited by allthatwhichis; 05-26-2011 at 18:34. Reason: Had to add the j/k smiley.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Well, just like most of andy's; looks like crap... I'll make room at my house so you can send it over and try again.
    What a guy.
    This space for rent.

Wink

I'm trying to start a laser graveyard for unworthy lasers. Unfortunatly nothing I would make would be worthy of even burying...

So this is my final chromatic-trilogy for the 2W projector project. The irony is the blue has the best beam profile!

465mW 445nm, 465mW 532nm, 1270mW 658nm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00208.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	25236
    This space for rent.

Hey Wayne,

Nice work! Those beams look very nice. I'm curious though, since you said you had tested a quad layout with a PBS cube, if you tried the layout in the image below.

I plan on building a supercooled quad in the coming weeks and I'm trying to find out how stable this arrangement is as I will likely be assembling the completed, airtight laser head under vacuum. As it'll be sealed tight I'd like to utilize the most stable layout as possible as I may not have an opportunity to realign and reassemble under vacuum in the future.

Thanks,
    Kyle

Hi Kyle,

yes I tried the layout pictured stacked as per the 2nd example.

Several issues with that layout, including the inability to adjust the 2 beams that don't bounce off mirrors. Also, the PBS losses.
    This space for rent.

Hey Wayne,

Thanks for the info! I did consider those issues, but thought perhaps one could rotate the diode in Dave's mount and use a three axis mount for the cube to fine tune the alignment and minimize losses through the cube. Seeing as though I'll probably be starting out with a 300mW green in my projector, I can probably suffer quite a bit of loss with a quad if I'm able to cool the diodes down to about 645nm. At that wavelength I should only need about 600mW of red to balance out 300mW of green.

I haven't order parts yet so I'll probably get enough diode and mirror mounts to make a six diode module if needed.

Thanks again!

- Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Hey Wayne,

Thanks for the info! I did consider those issues, but thought perhaps one could rotate the diode in Dave's mount and use a three axis mount for the cube to fine tune the alignment and minimize losses through the cube. - Kyle
    Wouldn't a two axis mount be enough for that? You should get a reasonably open arc on the cube vertical using the mount positions you have shown., and the cube is big compared to the beams since these are overlapped.

Why a vacuum ? Whats wrong with nitrogen? or just slightly over pressured dry clean air.

Also I suspect that Wayne wants to preserve the polarization just in case he wants to DOUBLE the RED POWER somewhere down the line. Or maybe mix in some "Orange".

Nice build Wayne, but aren't you worried a bit about the lasorbs bumping into the cover or can you bend them flat a bit ? Also how much loss exactly did you get with Kyle's proposed setup.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post
    Wouldn't a two axis mount be enough for that? You should get a reasonably open arc on the cube vertical using the mount positions you have shown., and the cube is big compared to the beams since these are overlapped.

Why a vacuum ? Whats wrong with nitrogen? or just slightly over pressured dry clean air.

Also I suspect that Wayne wants to preserve the polarization just in case he wants to DOUBLE the RED POWER somewhere down the line. Or maybe mix in some "Orange".

Nice build Wayne, but aren't you worried a bit about the lasorbs bumping into the cover or can you bend them flat a bit ? Also how much loss exactly did you get with Kyle's proposed setup.

Cheers
    Hi mate. With the cube/waveplate I could not crack the 900mW (or there abouts) barrier. With 2x2 knife edging I have 1270mW. There is no cover for the "nudie", my optical area will be sealed so no need.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Hi mate. With the cube/waveplate I could not crack the 900mW (or there abouts) barrier. With 2x2 knife edging I have 1270mW. There is no cover for the "nudie", my optical area will be sealed so no need.
    Shit.. that's a hell of loss just on the PBS and WP. Which is the main photon muncher, the PBS or WP?