Thread: Holographic Versatile Disc

Default Holographic Versatile Disc

Found this on reddit..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

"It employs a technique known as collinear holography, whereby a green and red laser beam are collimated in a single beam. The green laser reads data encoded as laser interference fringes from a holographic layer near the top of the disc. A red laser is used as the reference beam to read servoinformation from a regular CD-style aluminum layer near the bottom. "

"The system uses a green laser, with an output power of 1 watt which is quite high power for a consumer device laser. So a bigger challenge of the project for widespread consumer markets is to either improve the sensitivity of the polymer used, or develop and commoditize a laser capable of higher power output and suitable for a consumer unit."

Can you imagine getting a 1 watt green laser for $100 from Wal-Mart? I know this is only wikipedia. so I don't know how accurate the page is. It says that it was developed in 2004 so excuse me if there is already a topic on this.
    - instinct

and if its being used for data DPSS probably would not work well.. so they are talking about 1W green diodes!

*falls over*

i wish!!

Unless it is infra-green.
    This space for rent.

infra-green? lol

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    and if its being used for data DPSS probably would not work well.. so they are talking about 1W green diodes!

*falls over*

i wish!!
    Keep in mind that the first HeNe was around in the 60s, which was enormous and could produce a few mW of red light. Nobody could have imagined that we'd have 1W of blue in the palm of our hands these days (heck, they imagined blue LEDs to be impossible!) so I guess a green miracle could just be around the corner.

hell if you would have told me a couple years ago that we would have 1W blue lasers for a couple hundred bucks I would have laughed at you lol

The first commercially available visible beam He-Ne was the Perkin Elmer / Spectra-Physics model 110 seen here (square box with diamond patterns and cylindrical ends on the rail) with its power supply (bottom left) and inline RF control (next to the power supply). It was introduced in 1962. This picture shows it in use to transmit TV signals, and was published in a number of articles of the time. It's also the only picture I've found that shows the power supply.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PESP-110 System Application.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	548.6 KB 
ID:	24487