Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: any info on Pangolin "Beyond"

I think that's why there might be an update to Distributed Computing. I had to google it as I knew nothing about it but this is what the Wiki said:

There are two main reasons for using distributed systems and distributed computing. First, the very nature of the application may require the use of a communication network that connects several computers. For example, data is produced in one physical location and it is needed in another location. Second, there are many cases in which the use of a single computer would be possible in principle, but the use of a distributed system is beneficial for practical reasons. For example, it may be more cost-efficient to obtain the desired level of performance by using a cluster of several low-end computers, in comparison with a single high-end computer. A distributed system can be more reliable than a non-distributed system, as there is no single point of failure. Moreover, a distributed system may be easier to expand and manage than a monolithic uniprocessor system.[21]
    I presume the reason for the change from Ethernet is for even greater network reliability.

Cloud is more 'Software as a Service' and shared services - remote blades runing lots of instances that are hired out to the customer as required. Supposed to save infrastructure costs and give best value for licenses.
    So if Pangolin hosted a load of Beyond instances that you connected to remotely, that would be Cloud.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Cloud computing for 3ds max is often offered as a service hehe where you can make use of their rendering farms.
    anyway I tried it on lan too, it's surely more reliable, but just for fact of convenience I myself would not rely on distributed computing when it comes to fail safety.

Cloud is one reason why I won't be buying Windows 8. All of your private data stored centrally on the internet. If that wasn't a licence to hackers, prying governments, law enforcement agencies and the like to invade your privacy and see what you've been up to or in the case of hackers steal your information, I don't know what is.

As for Beyond, it sounds more like some kind of shared computing where both computers (onboard and PC or laptop) send and receive data rather than one sending and one receiving, I presume that the reliability comes in because if one stops sending the other can maybe do it alone and maybe it can access the others memory etc remotely thereby bypassing any failure of the other pc's OS. That's an educated guess though as I know nothing really about Distributed Computing.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Cloud is one reason why I won't be buying Windows 8.
    I'm still pimpin XP Pro and have no plans on going any further...

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    QM keeps on playing shows even when your pc crashes because of it's memory.
    and if you play sound from an external source and sync this up with SMPTE timecode device, nobody will even notice that your pc crashed =).

Emergency shutdown would still be possible by giving the QM.net no power anymore.
    But the show keeping on playing gives you extra time to recover or reboot your pc from the crash while nobody notice

as an result the gig will not or hardly be interrupted.
    Realistically most people are using livepro during live events...
    livepro uses the qm as a frame buffer so there would be no difference between the qm and fb3 at that point...

Plus generally if your pc crashes you are going to reboot it right? Well as soon as you do it will reboot the qm also