Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to prepare for a show outside?

Default How to prepare for a show outside?

I want to set up a laser projector at a portable entertainment park(kermis) or whatever you guys in england call it
    Just beaming into the sky...

Im curious what everything is i need to do to make it work. it will be nothing special. just one projector and one notebook. doing some beams so people will be attracted to the place.

i understand the laser projector must be protected, so no humans exept me can touch or move it.
    but what about licenses, legal stuff, costs....and maybe more to know?

Thanks
    Last edited by borgqueenx; 04-04-2011 at 07:51.
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

First stop should be townhall (gemeentehuis) i think ?
    Just ask them what's needed, they probably gave the fair a license so can probably tell you what's needed.

Then off to the police since they probably know more about shining lasers in the sky ;-)
    Check the 40W laserscope pictures we posted. You need to notify the airtraffic flying in over our small country. Even with your less powerfull projector the beam can and will be seen from far away (although not as far as the laser scope). If you really want to "attract" people, you will need a lot more power.

Let us know how you go on and share your experiences, it's interesting.
    Good to see your doing shows ! Well done man !
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

thanks i'l try to give them a call then.
    The police....well i hope they wont give me trouble and just say "nope you may not".

do i just notify air traffic?(like hey watch it im lasering then and there and be done with it) or do i need permission?
    and are there costs attached to all this?

and whats a good sum to ask for just 2 not extremely bright beams hovering and slowly moving above the "kermis" ?

and im upgrading my laser this and next month and expect a 1.4W projector ready in 2 months.
    Last edited by borgqueenx; 04-04-2011 at 09:16.

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    thanks i'l try to give them a call then.
    The police....well i hope they wont give me trouble and just say "nope you may not".

do i just notify air traffic?(like hey watch it im lasering then and there and be done with it) or do i need permission?
    and are there costs attached to all this?

and whats a good sum to ask for just 2 not extremely bright beams hovering and slowly moving above the "kermis" ?

and im upgrading my laser this and next month and expect a 1.4W projector ready in 2 months.
    Likely for asking a license requires you to pay in most cases, but who knows

so when is this kermis?
    as you surely need that 1.4W to actually be able to attract people.

Make sure you get a small fence surrounding your spot.
    As who know if a prankster thinks its funny to get his girls mirror in front of that beam, or use something else reflective.

Better be way too carefull then way to less.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Likely for asking a license requires you to pay in most cases, but who knows

so when is this kermis?
    as you surely need that 1.4W to actually be able to attract people.

Make sure you get a small fence surrounding your spot.
    As who know if a prankster thinks its funny to get his girls mirror in front of that beam, or use something else reflective.

Better be way too carefull then way to less.
    yep like i said i already know it needs to be contained. no one gets in or out that laser spot but me. fences are good. the standard fence. if someone climbs the fence il have enough time to grab him, pull him, and kick him

the kermis will be here somewhere in august. so its enough time but i'd like to know things already.

yep like i said i already know it needs to be contained. no one gets in or out that laser spot but me. fences are good. the standard fence. if someone climbs the fence il have enough time to grab him, pull him, and kick him

the kermis will be here somewhere in august. so its enough time but i'd like to know things already.

I don't think you will kick a big muscled guy.
    You need a guard to stand near to you.
    Loads of weird and not to trust people are on these fairs.

Make sure the spot in distance from your projector and the fence is so wide that nobody is able to stretch his arm out and just reach the beam.
    also keep in mind that movement of that beam should be very verry little.
    are you able to set your scan angle?
    if yes, turn it down by loads that way you can't accidentally make a point go a bit to far so that it just hits a building or perhaps an eye of a long person or someone in a carousel or a ferris wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    I don't think you will kick a big muscled guy.
    You need a guard to stand near to you.
    Loads of weird and not to trust people are on these fairs.

Make sure the spot in distance from your projector and the fence is so wide that nobody is able to stretch his arm out and just reach the beam.
    also keep in mind that movement of that beam should be very verry little.
    are you able to set your scan angle?
    if yes, turn it down by loads that way you can't accidentally make a point go a bit to far so that it just hits a building or perhaps an eye of a long person or someone in a carousel or a ferris wheel.
    lol the scan angle will be just 20 degrees. if the projector will be facing to the sky and standing on a table of 1m high there's no problem. ofcource i will set the fence in a way so no one can touch the beam. i cant get a big muscled guy but i dont want that much protection. a fence will do fine. a security guy also cant take a guy stronger then himselfs.
    When there's a fence(and warning sign on it by myself) they know not to come in there and wont. if they do try il flip the projector off. pretty simple.
    but you are right i cant get away a big muscled guy. but i do have some faith in people.

dont worry about security i do need help about the rest but will call the people hobbybob referred to
    let me see what they can tell me.

Going to need a lot of smoke for outdoor beams with a 1W projector!

4W minimum with smoke for any real kind of outdoor beams...
    No smoke (or bad wind conditions) bump that up to 10W *minimum*.
    Double, triple, quadruple those figures and you'll have a much better outdoor display

It is a *requirement* in the UK to get Civil Aviation Authority clearance before projecting into airspace. Generally speaking to more people, involved in some way to any degree is strongly advised; local police, authorities, 3rd parties affected etc...

Finally if I were you, I wouldn't bother with outdoor beams with a 1W projector. Use it for projections instead, text, logos, graphics - it will be better received.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

lol the scan angle will be just 20 degrees. if the projector will be facing to the sky and standing on a table of 1m high there's no problem. ofcource i will set the fence in a way so no one can touch the beam. i cant get a big muscled guy but i dont want that much protection. a fence will do fine. a security guy also cant take a guy stronger then himselfs.
    When there's a fence(and warning sign on it by myself) they know not to come in there and wont. if they do try il flip the projector off. pretty simple.
    but you are right i cant get away a big muscled guy. but i do have some faith in people.
    I understand you don't want a security guy, but I still heavly recommend you have at least 1 security guy near you.

It's not that if he's able to handle it or not.
    But controlling your laser projector alone can be quite provoking to "not so nice people"
    NEVER EVER GUARANTEE SAFETY WITH "I THINK" YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW.

You can only fuckup once, remember

Second, even if an idiot say jumps in front of you project and becomes blind, believe it or not: you are guilty for his blindness and face charges and lawsuit.
    I might sound a bit like overexaggurating here, but these are things that might exctually happen.

I doubt it, but you never know.. the world is an weird place after all.
    Last edited by masterpj; 04-04-2011 at 09:48. Reason: added some extra info

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Going to need a lot of smoke for outdoor beams with a 1W projector!

4W minimum with smoke for any real kind of outdoor beams...
    No smoke (or bad wind conditions) bump that up to 10W *minimum*.
    Double, triple, quadruple those figures and you'll have a much better outdoor display

It is a *requirement* in the UK to get Civil Aviation Authority clearance before projecting into airspace. Generally speaking to more people, involved in some way to any degree is strongly advised; local police, authorities, 3rd parties affected etc...

Finally if I were you, I wouldn't bother with outdoor beams with a 1W projector. Use it for projections instead, text, logos, graphics - it will be better received.
    I have to agree 100% from what I've seen.

Also, as your projector is RGB, lets not forget that 1.4W RGB is far less visible than eg green alone.

Dans suggestion of projecting graphics is a good one. A big white screen near the entrance (maybe the side of one of the fairs transporation trucks) will certainly attract some attention especially if you construct a show of text interspaced with Fair ground graphics relevent to the Fair concerned. eg if it has a lion show, you could have advertising text about lions then lion graphics, then more advertising text and another animal, then more advertising text and a graphics of a fair ground ride etc.

If you want beams in the air to attract from miles around you need a scope or a very big solid state or gas laser.

Finally one of the best ways to protect the public from any laser is to put a big steel plate between them and the lowest part of the beam show. That way if the projector should slip, the supports should fail or anything else should happen to cause it to point downwards, the worst it can do is shine on the back of the plate not into the audience.