Thread: Where to go this summer

Default Where to go this summer

My grandfather has told me that he wants to take me on a short summer trip sometime in the next few months. He told me to think of a place I want to go for a few days, so he can fly out there with me.

He's a science buff and absolutely loves to read his "DISCOVER", and "Scientific American" magazine subscriptions, and keep up with some of the latest research being done, so I figured a research facility would be a good place to go with him.

Now the only things that really spark my interest so far are Fermilabs, NIF, and SELEM V.

Classes start up on the Monday after SELEM, so it might be kind of a stretch to be halfway across the country the day before.

What are some of the best research facilities to visit, or tour? Does Silicon Valley have anything interesting anymore? Los Alamos? NASA? Colorado Springs?

What's going on out there, that I should go and see? Where would you go to visit?

Just looking for some neat ideas is all..

We emjoyed touring the telescopes on mauna kia on the big island of hawaii but warniong BRRRRRRRRRRRRR it was 10 degrees up there.

I think a flight to Hawaii might be a bit much to ask...

though large telescope would be great to see!

Where is all the laser research being done these days?

Just was the coolest tech tour type thing that i myself have done and they are getting ready to build the Largest refector baised telescope ever made up there.