Thread: 635nm vs 640nm Red

Default 635nm vs 640nm Red

Hey guys I'm about to order a Laser Projector with the following specs:

Red laser 300mW@635nm Analog 10k
    Green laser 200mW@532nm Analog 10k
    Blue laser 800Mw@447nm Analog 10k

40Kpps Scanner

I've been reading and told from other members that 635nm is on the "Orange" side of the Red spectrum.

I've emailed the company and I'm waiting for a reply to see if I can get a 640nm Red instead.

My question though is just how noticable is it between the two, I realize that the 635nm is brighter but how much Beam quality is lost in the 635nm compared to 640nm.

I want good color balance and beam quality but if I cannot get 640nm what am I expecting to see?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

635 is a nice enough colour, in fact the yellows it makes are very nice indeed, but the problem is the beam specs when used in a multi colour projector. They tend to have big fat beams which make colour mixing difficult and fringing quite noticeable. Not very goog for graphics basically.

If you're just doing beam shows you'll be scanning slower usually so can get away with saving some money on the scanners (e.g. go for 30k) and add some budget for a 640.

637 is going to become more popular I think as it is on the brighter side of 640 whilst still having good beam specs (he says, having just today decided to buy a 1watt 637 Kvant... )
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Thanks Norty,

I was able to get the 640nm instead of 635nm for $300 more than the original cost.

This will give me greater versatility of doing both Beam and Graphics shows.

Mike