Thread: Arc Lamp Laser Power Supply etc... FA on Ebay

Default Arc Lamp Laser Power Supply etc... FA on Ebay

Ruby laser, Lexel 95 Argon Laser, Arc Lamp power supply, ND-YAG Q-Switch all on Ebay .
    See " http://tinyurl.com/f42zl "

Good luck bidding.
    Rick
    Profile Redacted by Admin @ 04.24.2010

Your tinyurl link wants me to sign in to e-bay, and then it doesn't even take me to your auctions!

Try this link instead: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZlaserlover

You've got some nice toys there... I'm particularly tempted by your 200 joule Ruby head! But I know in my heart it would just sit on a shelf here. Sigh. The Lexel 95 would be very cool, if not for the 3 phase power requirement. Double sigh...

Adam

Tks Adam,

The 3 phase power required for most mid and large frame Ion lasers I got around by building a Phase Converter using a 7.5 HP 3 phase motor. If i had a 10 HP motor then I could probably run the Lexel 95 Argon laser at full power.
    I've got too many toys and my day job gets in the way of playing with all of them so time to sell some off, sigh !...

Tks for the correction.

Rick

Hey Rick;

No sweat! Glad to help.

RE: phase converter... Yeah, I seriously considered building one of those things about 6 months ago. Found an incredible deal on a 6 watt whitelight laser (local, right here in Charleston!) but of course it needed 3 phase power.

I ended up passing on the deal because by the time I added up the cost of all the parts needed to build a phase converter, it added up to a significant fraction of the cost of the laser itself. That, plus the fact that a phase converter is anything but portable (the motor alone would have weighed several hundred pounds), convinced me that I should stay away from 3 phase equipment.

In fairness, the unit I was looking to build used a 30 hp motor, and a large buck boost transformer to knock the voltage down to 208... It sounds like you've built one that is a little smaller, and thus lighter and less expensive.

Default phase convertor

expenses can be cut, but weight sure cant. I have mine on a mounted on a converted jetski trailer. I have seen them mounted on the old coherent opthomologic 900 series. I used the buck boost out of one of those. Of course when they spin up, lots of torque, better be nonmoveable then!
    I used a 20hp motor that I picked up for $50 salvage and I had a friend who does HVAC work and I got all the caps, potential relay, etc. at wholesale.

Buffo I will get some pix of the 643 whitelight posted and the 543 argon, (maybe even pix of a couple of my other lasers) soon.

A Jetski trailer! Brilliant! At least you can move it easily then...

Re: starting torque... Yeah, the article I linked to above makes that clear for anyone who'd be foolish enough to mount it on castors! But I knew it would need to be rock solid.

You sure got a good deal on that motor! And it's always nice to have a friend in the business that can feed you parts on a free or almost free basis...

Re: pics... Can't wait! (grin)

Adam

Hi Buffo,

Yeah, I have to admit that it doesn't hurt to be a body builder If you're going to lug around a phase converter. I salvaged my buck-boost Xformer from a Coherent 900 series laser and bought a kit of caps, relays etc..on Ebay and a new 7.5 HP 3 phase motor. I mounted everything on a 3/4" thick piece of plywood and inside a surplus cabinet so it has a footprint of about 4 square feet. I think the whole thing only cost me about $350 US. If you shop around and do the work yourself you save $$$$. It's good enough to fire things up and test them at moderate power.
    I can move it myself with the help of a dolly but sure wouldn't want one with a 30 HP motor.

Take care
    Rick