Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can someone build me a laser unit?

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Ahh, a thousand-apologies... didn't realize you already had your variance... Congrats! some people have been waiting over 18-24 mo's for their approvals -
    some, are waiting still...

Sure thing, I think that what 'raised the eyebrow' was "500mW + 7 colors (sounds like a TTL RGB...) + certified projector w/ 50K galvos for $1300." - sounded either like a great used-deal or 'snake oil' / you'd been-had...(which would be sad... Would be interesting to know what manuf. that box is, at such a great price...

Well, wish you happy trails in your search... I can't really be of much help under $7-10K, but lemme know if you wish any help on 'dealing' with NYS...
    they're a bit of a PITA...

peace...
    j
    I would also be interested in a nice used projector in that ballpark also...if anyone has any ideas.. I know people post in the forum of that stuff...

Lasershowparty:

What make and model is your $1300.00 certified projector with 50K scanners?
    Last edited by Andrew_D; 04-23-2011 at 10:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew/DLS View Post
    Lasershowparty:

What make and model is your $1300.00 certified projector with 50K scanners?

I'd like to know this as well.

Like mentioned above you're not going to find a Certified Laser Projector even around the 1W power range for anything close to $2000. Your looking at more like 8K+.

KVant is working on getting their Laser Certifications approved with the U.S. I've been told this process should start around May and take several months to complete.

However even then, you are looking at over 6K even if you order from KVant directly plus shipping costs and as stated your States License cost if that applies.

Best of Luck,

Mike,

What are you hearing about KVANT?

Are they making their projectors US compliant or will they be compliant and have their own CDRH accession number? Big difference.

I am not aware of any imported laser projector that has a CDRH accession number that was issued directly to the manufacturer. A US compliant projector (or made fully compliant after import) is typically imported into the US, with the importer/reseller being issued the accession number. This is the case with RGB Lasersystems, as well as Neo-laser.

Marc - please chime in if you have any details.
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    Mike,

What are you hearing about KVANT?

Are they making their projectors US compliant or will they be compliant and have their own CDRH accession number? Big difference.

I am not aware of any imported laser projector that has a CDRH accession number that was issued directly to the manufacturer. A US compliant projector (or made fully compliant after import) is typically imported into the US, with the importer/reseller being issued the accession number. This is the case with RGB Lasersystems, as well as Neo-laser.

Marc - please chime in if you have any details.
    I don't know all the details. All I can say is I have talked with KVant and asked if their products were certified or going to be certified for use in the U.S.

The reply I got was:

"We do comply 100% with latest H&S standards and legislations. We have finally decided to sort those US certificates for KVANT products, but that process will start in end of May and might take couple of months to proceed."

I'm sure that even if KVant gets their products Certified to be Imported into the U.S. that there will still be other paper work involved to get a variance.

The impression I got from the correspondence was that KVant will be making their products to meet all the U.S. regulations to be classified as Certified Laser Projectors for use within the U.S.

I am not an expert in the matter.

Hope this helps in clearing things up a little.

Mike

Mike and all,

Yeah, it is not quite that simple... there are other regulations which have to be met which place a really substantial burden on foreign manufacturers. Kvant makes good stuff I am told but it is not going to be done in a couple of months... not correctly anyway. It took us almost a year without the foreign manufacturer requirements imposed upon us.

The real danger with any foreign manufacturer is that if they skirt the process, which many if not most all of them do, guess who gets caught holding the hot potato when they get found out? They are in another country out of reach of our laws... but the purchaser is not. That was part of the problem with the laserworld insurance policy... I think fraud would be an appropriate term..., the policy specifically disclaims a whole bunch of things that could invalidate it and you can't sue them because they can just ignore US subpoenas being based in Switzerland.

I have no doubt that Kvant and a few other folks will eventually become certified for sale in the US but it is not going to be anytime soon.

@Lasershowparty

By the way man, there is virtually no chance that you bought a new US certified laser system with 50K scanners and with those specs for $1,300 from a domestic manufacturer. I will literally give you a laser for free if you can prove me wrong on that. I would totally believe that you got an illegal laser that you were TOLD was legal... but not a legit one.

The 50K scanner thing makes it sounds like Laserworld and they are so, so not legal.