Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laserking 1W RGB MC2 Projector

Default Laserking 1W RGB MC2 Projector

Intro

About two months ago I bought the Laserking MC2 ILDA projector. I though I'd share my experience.

I paid $1400 total for this, included shipping. Laserkings website is Hongkong Laserking Tec Co.,Limited.. They don't seem to list this exact product, but I'm sure you can get a quote by contacting them.

Listed specs:

500mW 650nm red - 10KHz analog
    200mW 532nm green - 10KHz analog
    300mW 445nm blue - 10KHz analog
    30kpps scanners

Review

The reason I bought from Laserking was a combination of their relatively cheap prices, high quality parts and reputation. I was not disappointed. This laser kicks ass!

The scanning is smooth and projects even complicated graphics with ease, no flickering. The scanners are quite loud though. On some shows they even screech louder than the fans in the projector.
    Speaking of the fans, they are also quite loud. Much noisier than my computer for example. This is normal though, but just a heads-up for people new to show projectors.

The laser modules are very nice. Unfortunately I don't own a LPM, but I think they are up to spec, considering they are very bright and made by CNI, a top-tier company. My only complaint is the red, it should've been brighter. I have to tune down the green a little and the blue a lot for a good white balance.
    I have no complaints about the analog modulation either. Smooth and beautiful. I really recommend getting analog modulation instead of TTL if you're planning to buy a projector.
    The divergence and beam quality is what you'd expect: Decent on the green and blue but pretty bad on the red.

I haven't taken the projector apart yet, because I am too scared to ruin something. But from what I can see inside the aperture hole, the build quality is good. The modules and aluminium breadplate are beefy. The projector has two large fans on the backside. I have three cons though:
    1. The dichros are not adjustable. However Laserking did an excellent job of aligning the beams.
    2. There are no dust filters on the fans or air holes.
    3. There are no safety switch or key switch on the projector.

This projector can run both on ILDA (It has an ilda in and out port), DMX (in and out) and automatic/sound mode. The built-in patterns on the automatic mode sucks, but who uses that anyways?

In case you are interested in looks, the case itself looks sweet and minimalistic. The ports are straight and looks clean. There are some ugly warning stickers though. There are also an unused hole on the backside that can be used to upgrade the projector, for example with a safety key switch. But when unused it looks ugly.

Conclusion: I would definately recommend this laser to anyone who are looking for a laser in the $1000-1500 range.

Pictures

The laser in it's awesome entirety:

The front:

Inside the aperture (hard to see anything, sorry.)

The back:

Keep in mind my camera sucks balls, in real life the colours are much more vibrant and bright.

Beamshot:

30k test pattern:

Colour test pattern (stock settings):

Colour test pattern (balanced white):

Graphics, all scanned smoothly, no flicker:

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Thumbs up

Not bad at all for the money.
    You must be pleased that you've bagged a bargain.
    Last edited by soforene; 02-25-2011 at 07:28. Reason: Grammatical error. Tut Tut!

Looks great for the price

Default thanks for review !

thanks for review, I was hesitatant about ordering from them,
    I am now contacting to order 1 of these, I will you know how it works out !
    thanks, SSpinball

Adjust your blanking offset and re-align that red dichro a little. Nice projector for the price!

Looks decent, especially for the price, good deal!
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Wait, so it has loud - screechy - galvos (which tends to mean that the glavos are being overworked for their capability), a badly divergent red, no safety system, not even IEC certification, a big empty hole in the back of the case, sucky built in patterning and unknown beam power except to say that there is not enough red? How does that equal a kick-ass laser?

More to the point, CNI makes a lot of different levels of diode quality ranging from very good to very cheap and at the price point I would bet that you do no have the better quality ones. I would also mention that the ugly warning sticker lists the laser as IIIB which either means that LaserKing 1) Does not know the correct class for a 1W laser, 2) has dramatically underpowered the device, or 3) does not have enough quality control in place to catch that it is misclassified.

I am sorry friend but your review makes no sense to me. I would also point out that in the US, it would NEVER pass FDA certification for those to whom that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Laser View Post
    Wait, so it has loud - screechy - galvos (which tends to mean that the glavos are being overworked for their capability), a badly divergent red, no safety system, not even IEC certification, a big empty hole in the back of the case, sucky built in patterning and unknown beam power except to say that there is not enough red? How does that equal a kick-ass laser?

More to the point, CNI makes a lot of different levels of diode quality ranging from very good to very cheap and at the price point I would bet that you do no have the better quality ones. I would also mention that the ugly warning sticker lists the laser as IIIB which either means that LaserKing 1) Does not know the correct class for a 1W laser, 2) has dramatically underpowered the device, or 3) does not have enough quality control in place to catch that it is misclassified.

I am sorry friend but your review makes no sense to me. I would also point out that in the US, it would NEVER pass FDA certification for those to whom that matters.
    Gavlo noise is normal, all my other projectors have also screeched, and this screeches even on 12kpps. The red is not badly divergent for a budget 650nm module. All the other stuff you mentioned are very minor details imho. This is a budget laser, and extremely few budget lasers are IEC certified. I am only using this in my own home, so I am responsible for my own safety, and double the price for a few formalities is not worth it to me.

I was looking at the back of the case and didn't see a "Big Hole"?

Where is it located, just curious.

Mike

I was a little curious myself but I figured that it was just not pictured. I was just going off of his remarks:

"In case you are interested in looks, the case itself looks sweet and minimalistic. The ports are straight and looks clean. There are some ugly warning stickers though. There are also an unused hole on the backside that can be used to upgrade the projector, for example with a safety key switch. But when unused it looks ugly."