Thread: Lasers set to replace spark plugs in cars?

Default Lasers set to replace spark plugs in cars?

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-...ombustion.html

Wonder how they keep the optics clean though?

They mention that leaner mixtures burn the spark plugs and that is true. But, they also damage the pistons and valves. Spark plugs are cheap, engine rebuilds aren't. I wonder what the plan is for that.

Lasers, Taira explains, can focus their beams directly into the center of the mixture. Without quenching, the flame front expands more symmetrically and up to three times faster than those produced by spark plugs.

A laser hemi!!!

Might be a cool idea for Top Fuel cars that drop cylinders regularly.

Sparkplug. Laser. Sparkplug. Laser.

I know which is more robust!

The question is, can we use sparkplugs in our projectors?
    This space for rent.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Perhaps a 10-20 millijoule or more, ~1-2 khz rep rate, Qswitched, fiber coupled with a temoo beam, 20-30 watts or more Average power, probably a 7 nanosecond or less pulse. Yeah, I just love the idea of those showing up in Autozone.

Would bring the price of vandate, qswitches, and surface mount pump diodes down though..

Cant wait to see the optical distributor...

I used to own a 110Vac 20 Hz rep rate flashlamp pumped 1060 nM YAG at about 10x that power. Not something I trusted just anyone to handle, and not even myself some times. It was a baby as pulsed yags go, but damn scary to be around.

It nicely made a flickering white hot fireball in AIR when focused, but if you had a defect in the lens, it would make white clouds of compressed glass mixed with gas bubbles where the defect was. Yes, engrave inside the glass if it was a cheap lens or scratched.

I have seen lots of pics of engines with test windows on the heads, for measuring flame fronts etc. I've never seen one where the windows were easily cleaned or installed.

I do not know how you would keep the oil or soot off the lenses, without a gas jet.

Poor English translation, Quote:

The researchers say that to ignite the fuel mixture the laser has to focus 100 gigawatts per square centimeter square with short pulses of more than 10 millijoules each measures in Hz. "In the past, lasers that could meet those requirements were limited to basic research because they were big, inefficient, and unstable." The researchers have created a laser that can meet the requirements using ceramics.

End quote..

Ok, you can start with the jiggawatts of flux capacitor jokes now..

Steve

Pfffff. Diesel don't need no stinkin spark plugs or lasers...
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Perhaps a 10-20 millijoule or more, ~1-2 khz rep rate, Qswitched, fiber coupled with a temoo beam, 20-30 watts or more Average power, probably a 7 nanosecond or less pulse. Yeah, I just love the idea of those showing up in Autozone.

Would bring the price of vandate, qswitches, and surface mount pump diodes down though..

Cant wait to see the optical distributor...

I used to own a 110Vac 20 Hz rep rate flashlamp pumped 1060 nM YAG at about 10x that power. Not something I trusted just anyone to handle, and not even myself some times. It was a baby as pulsed yags go, but damn scary to be around.

It nicely made a flickering white hot fireball in AIR when focused, but if you had a defect in the lens, it would make white clouds of compressed glass mixed with gas bubbles where the defect was. Yes, engrave inside the glass if it was a cheap lens or scratched.

I have seen lots of pics of engines with test windows on the heads, for measuring flame fronts etc. I've never seen one where the windows were easily cleaned or installed.

I do not know how you would keep the oil or soot off the lenses, without a gas jet.

Poor English translation, Quote:

The researchers say that to ignite the fuel mixture the laser has to focus 100 gigawatts per square centimeter square with short pulses of more than 10 millijoules each measures in Hz. "In the past, lasers that could meet those requirements were limited to basic research because they were big, inefficient, and unstable." The researchers have created a laser that can meet the requirements using ceramics.

End quote..

Ok, you can start with the jiggawatts of flux capacitor jokes now..

Steve
    come on steve, you of all people should know jiggawatts is a valid pronunciation of gigawatts

So laserists will soon stop raiding projectors for diodes, and start car-jacking?

Quote Originally Posted by smokeAndMirrors View Post
    So laserists will soon stop raiding projectors for diodes, and start car-jacking?
    Well it won't be difficult with all the blind motorists around who pulled out their 30 Watt Pulsed laser plug to check to see if there was a spark!

Quote Originally Posted by smokeAndMirrors View Post
    Say, I have a parted out projector for sale, just needs a set of plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Well it won't be difficult with all the blind motorists around who pulled out their 30 Watt Pulsed laser plug to check to see if there was a spark!
    If MSD start making lasers then that will be something! MSD Blaster 532.
    This space for rent.