Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about anamorphic prisms

A telescope will do wonders for a properly stacked array.....cylinder lenses get the best from a single diode...near DPSS in terms of spot size at a long distance and small diameter at apeture.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

18 metres and o-like lens
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I will try different telescopes with the 4 watt module that i have here. It would be nice to get a tight beam because it will increase visability. I have stacked them like this llll
    But one thing is for sure it,s a damn nasty diode to get a good beam out of it

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    I will try different telescopes with the 4 watt module that i have here. It would be nice to get a tight beam because it will increase visability. I have stacked them like this llll
    But one thing is for sure it,s a damn nasty diode to get a good beam out of it
    look forward to seeing the results
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I will fire up my quad red first. If the housings are ready from the metalshop i can finish that one and then play with the quad blue. I have doubts about the telescope but we will see. I don,t have a clue if this will work
    When the quad red is ready i will can start with an 8 setup red.... Finally

I will mess around with the prisms I purchased to see what they will yield. I might also try a telescope as well. I am not too concerned with losses. My 640 red is only 350mW and my 532 is only 200mW so, if I only get 500mW after all is said and done, I will still be over the mark.

This is very good info. Thanks again everyone for pitching in with some ideas. It would be awesome if someone with all the right equipment could donate some time and put together configurations and measurements for all of us here that shows the best steup for a specific type of beam/power desired. I am going to mess around and post my findings when I get my prisms. My only problem is that I only have one 445 and very few optics in my drawer.

Thanks again all!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    I will fire up my quad red first. If the housings are ready from the metalshop i can finish that one and then play with the quad blue. I have doubts about the telescope but we will see. I don,t have a clue if this will work
    When the quad red is ready i will can start with an 8 setup red.... Finally
    I have a feeling testing reds will not tell us anything in regards to the blue. Andy has pretty much shown us first hand how well telescopes work on a stack of reds...

http://www.laser-man.co.uk/projects/...ode-array.html

But hey, ride out, I am always down to look at more pictures of lasers.

Based what you said about the stack of blues using the prism it almost seems like adding a prism to each blue before it is stacked might do something favorable although that would be kinda expensive and take up some space; you'd have to use something besides your quad mounts to try it with.

Are there optics that correct only one axis or polarity? I am wondering if you could throw something on Andy's quad 445 though a prism (2nd picture above), after the prism, that could either fix the fast axis a bit more or fatten the slow axis a bit to match and then throw that quad beam through a telescope. I haven't been able to see the logical argument in the beam size/divergence issue anyway; I can't wrap my head around only being able to fix one, not both, or fixing one makes the other worse... even after talking with... buffo, DZ, Spec... even Marconi* among others, who have all made great attempts to explain, but I don't get it.

* Yes, take a second and wonder... WTF is Mr. Maxy up to now?

IMO I would say the following 2 options have proven to deliver very good results.

1.) O-Like lens (long FL) in combination with prisms. Beam @ Approx. 4.5mm dia. at the apperture @ < 1.5 mrad

2.) 405-G-2 lens (short FL) in combination with cylinders. Beam @ Approx. 3mm dia. at the apperture @ < 1.2 mrad

Option 2 is the one you are looking for.
    These 2 have also proven to be most cost effectiv.

cheers!

With my 445 prism build, I cropped the beam at aperture to "round" it up. At 17M I have a round spot.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    With my 445 prism build, I cropped the beam at aperture to "round" it up. At 17M I have a round spot.
    my thought exactly. collimate, use correction optics and then run the beam through an apperture.

with 1w of power available, i can't even be bothered to think about losses
    "its called character briggs..."