Thread: HGM-5 help!

Default HGM-5 help!

i recently aquired a hgm-5. it has not been converted or modified as it came from the medical field. i did not get any manuals or the foot pedal. i found a post regarding the wiring of the "din" style plug for the foot pedal. because i did not have the mating din plug, i carefully followed the wires from the din plug to the amp connector, writing down the crossover from one plug to the next. i cut of the din plug and connected what was pin 2 to pin 3 and added a switch between pin 3 and pin 7 to ramp up the tube. the information i got also said i need to connect pins 12 and 14 together but those pins are not even used on the din plug, they don't even have wires attached to them. i powered it up for the first time tonight and cannot get it to lase. all the readouts are functioning, the unit powers up, fans run, i have one of the fiber cables inserted, there are 2 red leds lighting on one of the power supply boards. there is a red led marked "plug" lit on the top of the "dose" board, what does this mean? i have obviously pulled the case interlock up, don't see any lighting at either end of the tube but do notice a slight smell of ozone near the open chassis. the power indicator lights up, the standby indicator flickers and then comes on steady. at the same time, the dose light comes on steady. pushing the standby button does not turn off the standby indicator and the dose button doesn't seen to do anything. there is a slight (very) possibility that i may have messed up on the wires from the old din plug (late night last night). does anyone have the wiring schematic to cross-reference from the din plug to the amp connector? thankx in advance for any help you may be able to give me.....mike

Talking Let us "see" everything you just said...

Not that I have any clue, but for someone who may know and because we like laser p0rn...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

STOP, There are several different HGM connectors.

DO not meddle blindly with the model 5 PSU, there are several isolated circuits in there that can result in PSU death if you cross them.

I have model 5 schematics. You will not find them on the net for medical safety reasons, too many people will try to make a buck by selling doctors lasers that do not meet specifications. I will help you if you talk to me on the phone and I am convinced you can be trusted with a schematic. This is the rule of the medical technician who provides me with data.
    That technician has proven to be a good friend to the laser show community and I will not defy his wishes.

Be aware that the cheap "Jumper and bypass the computer" mod that is out there takes the tube out of closed loop and runs the laser at the setting of the maximum current potentiometer. This can be very bad, very quick, if not done right, as several people have learned that repairing five kilowatt buck switchers is a black art. The cheap mod bypasses a few sensors that protect the tube, and that comes back to bite people who are not very careful.

There are analog diagnostics built into the model 5 that are hidden if you do not know what is going on, some of them float at high voltage. Resist the urge to probe and tweek until you know what is what.

Its really a simple matter to add a current sensor , a passive low pass filter, a current potentiometer, and bypass the CPU, then you have control over the current and the tube will last much longer.

You were working on the wrong connector. AH, the joys of the internet. I hope there is no damage.

Send me a PM. You sent me a visitor message and I do not check those very often.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 04-28-2011 at 04:16.

Default hgm-5

message received and understood, thankx steve. if possible try to call me tomorrow night, i'll let you know how it worked out......mike

I sent him the test jumper setup for the internal ribbon cable. It drives the tube to max limit at 20-22 Amps, so I will not post it here. It will get him started.

Steve

15 mandatory characters per PL rules.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HGM5simples.bmp