Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Saw DigiSynth first-hand last night... |8~O

Hey Lased... Thanks. I generally try not to be a snob, but yeah it's easy to come off like an ass around here, so I'm sorry if I did. It's just really frustrating to have something that your proud of and the first thing people do is equate it to commonly found over-the counter oscillators and some hacked sound cards.

I've not spent all that much time on PL, I guess there is really a mix of people that are in it for the hobby, and some professionals as well. I'm not a sales guy, I'm a laser guy, and hey, human (mostly) too, so I don't always come out on top of the rosie heap smelling fresh as a daisy.

Hey Jon, Absolutely right about Lasergraph DSP!!! how about the whole order of magnitude higher! Or even the price of pro version of the Pangolin platform.

And as for no one buying at this price, we just delivered 4 more to one customer. Those who use it, love it. DigiSynth isn't a new, untried system, and it isn't for everyone. I'll look to get more useful content out about what it is and what features it employs.

But really, for those that wish to insist that it can be replaced or duplicated by something else, no, sadly it cannot. This is why we had to make DigiSynth in the first place!

Peace and hair grease...

-chuck

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Too many people around here have never seen a real 4 head abstract projector driven in real time. Too many people see lasers as just beams, projectors as just a single scan head driven by diode/dpss. Chuck, drag that puppy to Selem, and wake up folks to what they have been missing. The commercial aspects of low cost projectors and the drive by lighting designers to force lasers to DMX has taken too much of the art out of the medium.

With all due respect to the defacto medium cost standard, there are things out there other then Pangolin and beam shows.

The Depth Qing glasses give me headaches, but if you bring that to Selem, I'll spring for paper pairs for everyone there.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-02-2011 at 16:41.

This thing sounds a lot like something I have been dreaming about for the last 35years.

Could we please have some hard info about what it has in the way of spec ?

I have a Lab full of old gas lasers which I would exchange for something like this !

Now where is there a bank I can rob around here.

Can this monster be seen in UK anywhere ?

Cheers

It seems pretty interesting and cool to me.

For those of you who have not yet found it, the website is www.digisynth.com There is some info there, but we have also been putting together a detailed description of all the components and features. It is a lengthy process to get the full details documented, along with screen shots and tutorials, so please be patient. It will likely get released in stages so we can get some of this info out to you in a better way, faster.

Thanks for the interest!

-chuck

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    The Depth Qing glasses give me headaches, but if you bring that to Selem, I'll spring for paper pairs for everyone there.

Steve
    Ah Chromadepth,
    I do miss those days! Ya gotta get the real ones, don't fall for the "HD" version, only one lens is the holographic film, the other is clear!

Buffo has been after me to attend, and I'd like to, but I have a scheduling conflict with SELEM right now that I may not be able to overcome. It is still to early to be certain, but I may still contribute in some way.

I'm glad to see you are still alive and kicking, Steve!

-chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Laserchuck View Post
    Ahh this is part of the awesomesauce... the DigiLive surface allows images to be selected, and once they are, then the controller such as the BCF2000 becomes active for performing THAT image. This adds a new depth of control to the live performance. click on the image for a bigger version, you can see a few of the images I had whipped up at the point this was grabbed.
    that is pretty nice

Nah, I don't feel attacked, and I'm sorry if I'm coming off like a prick, I certainly don't mean to. I do enjoy a lively discussion. I've got a big job of educating people about what DigiSynth really is. It isn't a replacement for anything out there on the market currently, it is a whole new product that approaches things in a completely different manner. We weren't out to copy anyone else, but we did want to recreate some of the lost classic laser imagery.
    na, your comong off as someone defending the product of their work, cant fault you for that, and your doing it maturely so props for that lol

and i personally love the old multi-head, multi-gas kaser analog console imagry so i certainly appreciate what you guys have created

Honestly, we're not in it for the money. We slave away at it for the love of the art and the desire to put out a quality product. It isn't for everyone, but those that jump in get to experience a wild ride. Kinda like an amusement park, eventually kids grow out of kiddyland and want to ride the big rides. I'll always look back at those little cars and planes that go 'round and 'round, but the ones that let you drive are much more fun.
    see i think its less of a problem of it not being for everyone vs the great majority of people who would want something like this cant afford it (myself included lol)

Oh man, well that is easy, real analog has horrible noise issues, very bad blanking techniques, and low repeatability. DigiSynth allows sample-accurate repeatability, unprecedented cleanliness and all new blanking techniques. Oh, no one said you have to give up the knobs and sliders, I use the BCF2000, as stated above. it gives me 8 motorized faders, 8 rotary knobs and like 20 buttons, so there is plenty of control to go around, all of which can be assigned individually within a patch to serve your needs for that image, and re-purposed as needed.

Gone are the days of crappy analog signals and lost patches that could never be recreated. It's like taking the best parts of analog abstracts and bringing them into the 21st century. And then put those images onto a timeline, capture the performance of them, and bake em out or distribute / play back as needed. It is a slick way of making shows, and I'm not going back to the alternatives.

Makes me want to go play with it right now!

Chuck Rau
    DigiSynth Evangelist
    fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Too many people around here have never seen a real 4 head abstract projector driven in real time. Too many people see lasers as just beams, projectors as just a single scan head driven by diode/dpss. Chuck, drag that puppy to Selem, and wake up folks to what they have been missing. The commercial aspects of low cost projectors and the drive by lighting designers to force lasers to DMX has taken too much of the art out of the medium.

With all due respect to the defacto medium cost standard, there are things out there other then Pangolin and beam shows.

Steve
    yes i have seen proper lasershows pre "click play" which is why i like the idea of DS, i just think its priced out of reality for the majority of its audience

also i cant think of a reason why they cant make a slightly crippled version that would only allow modified usb soundcards for example... since i cant think of any reason a modified sound card dac would not work with DS

Stoney, you've done some cool original stuff in the past so I'm somewhat mystified at your negative response here. Without having seen DS you compared it to PureData, so I had to have a look. While it looks like PureData might be able to do something in a somewhat clunky, never-quite-finished way, unfortunately, PureData is not in even in the same league as DS. It might be possible to type a note by forming letters in binary by entering ones and zeros, likewise it might be possible to create some laser art with PureData as well, I couldn't immediately tell because the use of it was so opaque. But besides that, you should withhold judgment until you see DS software in person. Sure, it's expensive. I can't afford it either. But that doesn't make it less cool or give a valid reason to imbibe acidic vine-fruit. One day it's very likely some form of this tech will 'trickle down' to the rest of us.
    Last edited by drlava; 05-02-2011 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    But that doesn't make it less cool
    it kinda does... why does nobody on pl talk about Lasergraph DSP? because nobody gives a crap aboit it except the handful of people that can both afford it and find the value in it...

so ya i think its pricetag does kinda throw it into the realm of irrelevance here...

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    ...i cant think of a reason why they cant make a slightly crippled version that would only allow modified usb soundcards for example...
    One reason might-be the PROC... I don't think the laser-show industry is *necessarily* better-off for DTs vs 6800s, for-example... sure, great for the 'basement / garage laser-jockey', but you can bet your sweet-bippy I, for one, won't be 'banking' any shows on them - DT certainly won't be 'eating the bill' if one of their clones gives up the ghost on one of our shows, I will... So, sometimes, putting something out there that might increase the risk of inferior-clonage, might not necessarily be in the industries' best-interest, though-be-it nice for 'home / hobby-level' use... I mean, sure, I'd love a '$500. OPSL' too, buuuut...

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    ...so ya i think its pricetag does kinda throw it into the realm of irrelevance here...
    Meeah, I don't see Lavas' post / review as 'irrelevant', here, by any-means - that *was* the 'point' of this thread, after-all, ya know?... Still-good to know what is out-there (besides news from the 'P.Post'! ) and hear some real-world feedback on it....Besides, you never know, Fle - you could win the lottery tomorrow...
    ...'all you need is a dollar and a dream', right?...

peas...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...