Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Saw DigiSynth first-hand last night... |8~O

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    One reason might-be the PROC... I don't think the laser-show industry is *necessarily* better-off for DTs vs 6800s, for-example... sure, great for the 'basement / garage laser-jockey', but you can bet your sweet-bippy I, for one, won't be 'banking' any shows on them - DT certainly won't be 'eating the bill' if one of their clones gives up the ghost on one of our shows, I will... So, sometimes, putting something out there that might increase the risk of inferior-clonage, might not necessarily be in the industries' best-interest, though-be-it nice for 'home / hobby-level' use... I mean, sure, I'd love a '$500. OPSL' too, buuuut...
    perhaps, but eyemagic's are better than the CT scanners IMHO and cheaper

and you can't tell me if the chinese came out with $500 OPSL modules you would not buy one... hell in that case you could PBS two of them and have redundancy/failover built in

but you are talking about hardware, I am talking about software, I still don't see a reason against making a version normal people can afford besides making sure only the few elite can use it

Meeah, I don't see Lavas' post / review as 'irrelevant', here, by any-means - that *was* the 'point' of this thread, after-all, ya know?... Still-good to know what is out-there (besides news from the 'P.Post'! ) and hear some real-world feedback on it....Besides, you never know, Fle - you could win the lottery tomorrow...
    ...'all you need is a dollar and a dream', right?...

peas...
    j
    I don't play the lottery so no, not going to win it... and I didn't say drlava's post was irrelevant, I said the software is... the reason it hasn't been mentioned since it was released (around the ILDA cruise IIRC) is because nobody here uses it/can afford it...

same reason there are no threads about lasergraph dsp

and here, even google agrees

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...ord2=digisynth

Cool

Besides, you never know, Fle - you could win the lottery tomorrow...
    ...'all you need is a dollar and a dream', right?...

peas...
    j
    It is much more productive to say "I will win the lottery" than "I could win the lottery"...

And I'd buy it if I could... We'll have to see... actually the lottery is drawn tomorow, so it will have to be Thursday morning.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    it kinda does... why does nobody on pl talk about Lasergraph DSP? because nobody gives a crap aboit it except the handful of people that can both afford it and find the value in it...

so ya i think its pricetag does kinda throw it into the realm of irrelevance here...

Just because the majority of people on this board, cant afford such systems, DOES not make them irrelevant,
    If it has to do with laser show equipment, i want to hear about it... because it is RELEVANT.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I'm frankly shocked that no one has asked for sample. OK, Chuck, how about some sample frames exported to ILDA or Pango formats? I'd keep them simple to avoid melting the Chinese galvos, etc. Upload them to the FTP server, and listen to the pin drop.

Steve

Lased is offline THIS USER WAS CLUEBYFOURED

Hmm... If I was Chuck and I knew that a sample was an option, it would have been the first thing I threw at the naysayers. That's why I assumed no sample would be forthcoming, so I didn't ask.

perhaps, but eyemagic's are better than the CT scanners IMHO and cheaper
    Heartily agreed, and I 'bank' more shows on EMS than CTs...but I'd *never* bank a show on DTs / other-such... Why???

and you can't tell me if the chinese came out with $500 OPSL modules you would not buy one...
    Sure... for the shop! But I'd need to hear of a Sho Co. that actually *banked* hi-$$ shows on them - for like, 5-10K hours, LOTS of test-cases, in all-manners of weather / temp / humidity / dust / hard-core bass-vibrations / concussion-mortars going-off nearby, etc, etc - with near-zero drop in power / performance - before I'd *ever* consider risking banking a show on them...

ie: one reason I bit the bullet a long time ago on going with LaserQuantums for green, vs Melles, though the LQs were much more $$... the LQs were / are rock-rock-rock solid... MGs: hit or miss, and the early-gen Chigreens were pretty-squirley.... yes, they've made great-strides, and I have done some shows using them in the gear-mix - but *not* center-stage!!!

I guess the 'point' was, perhaps if a 'low-budget' version came out of this, it might end-up becoming like the 'fate' of the Blisslight - the OEM-ones are amazing - priced-high, yes, but very HQ results out of their particular HOE / design - then, the 'clones' come-along; cheap, yes, but the fx are mucho-sucko, by-comparison (IMO) and, now, that 'effect' is not 'so special' anymore, because people get used to seeing the 'dime a dozen' inferior fx, and are like, 'meh'... But when they *see* the OEM Bliss, they never fail to gasp / say, 'oh, wow, that's awesome....'

Does the 'difference' in quality / uniqueness 'justify' the higher-cost of the OEM Bliss? When you 'bank' on your shows for a living, anything you can do to keep *your* shows / fx at the top of the game / differentiated from the 'other guys', you-do, even if it costs 3x the price of a 'clone'... In the world of doing shows professionally, 'you pay now, or you pay later'...

but you are talking about hardware, I am talking about software, I still don't see a reason against making a version normal people can afford
    Here's hoping they can do something like that, too, (akin to 'QS' vs LD2K) but AFAIK, right now, the hardware / software combo is not so 'dissolvable' into 'simpler-versions', etc - I mean, consider that this product *is* relatively-new... Let's give it 2-3 years to 'evolve', yeah?

...and I didn't say drlava's post was irrelevant, I said the software is...
    I meant, that Lava's post, being a 'representative' of the product - I don't see hearing real-world results about *anything* related to this field - pro OR hobby - as irrelevant... I guess we agree to disagree on that opin...

Anyhoo... the shizz is cool, $4k or not...
    peas...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Lased is offline THIS USER WAS CLUEBYFOURED

Heartily agreed, and I 'bank' more shows on EMS than CTs...but I'd *never* bank a show on DTs / other-such... Why???
    I see your point, which is that generally speaking name-brand stuff is more reliable than the cheaper options.. and you would be right in most cases..

BUT....

In all of my recent research into this stuff I've found out that there are LOTS of people using Chinese galvos. Many more are using Chinese stuff than American or European. Nowhere have I found a single reason to believe that most of the Chinese options are anything but reliable and very good value for their cost. Honestly I cannot remember hearing/reading about even one set of Chinese galvos failing. You would think that if they really are junk compared to the other options, unworthy of trusting a pro show to them, they would have a reputation as such.. but they don't. In your case I understand the idea of "better safe than sorry", though.

Of course I haven't looked everywhere or talked to everyone, but the places I have looked seem to have many happy customers, many of whom have put a considerable amount of hours on their Chinese galvos.

I'm off topic now though..

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Lased View Post
    I see your point, which is that generally speaking name-brand stuff is more reliable than the cheaper options.. and you would be right in most cases..

BUT....

In all of my recent research into this stuff I've found out that there are LOTS of people using Chinese galvos. Many more are using Chinese stuff than American or European. Nowhere have I found a single reason to believe that most of the Chinese options are anything but reliable and very good value for their cost. Honestly I cannot remember hearing/reading about even one set of Chinese galvos failing. You would think that if they really are junk compared to the other options, unworthy of trusting a pro show to them, they would have a reputation as such.. but they don't. In your case I understand the idea of "better safe than sorry", though.

Of course I haven't looked everywhere or talked to everyone, but the places I have looked seem to have many happy customers, many of whom have put a considerable amount of hours on their Chinese galvos.

I'm off topic now though..
    I would guess most of us have had "Eastern made" galvos fail; I have had several including a ScanPro 30 and a DT40 Pro amp failure. Both instants got resolved, but the failures still occured. I have never had a problem with my CTs... which I think is Jon's point; when doing professional shows, he, Jon, isn't going to trust his professional reputation on a set of "Eastern made" galvos, not matter what the rest of us might do.

Maybe to get this back on topic...

Chuck, have you tried smacking around any "Eastern made" galvos with DigiSynth?

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Chuck, have you tried smacking around any "Eastern made" galvos with DigiSynth?
    If not, I guess the app would be way out of the league for most of us anyway and remain the 'killer app' for the ultra-high-end industry which has $100k to spare for a brand new piece of kit for the next gig. Most of us don't really have that kind of customer base and therefore the app would be less useful for the most of us.

It's like trying to sell a totally tricked out 20-ton trailer to a mobile DJ who just grew out of his parent's station wagon for the last wedding.

On the other hand, it does open up some good options to start some kind of a community project which has the same basic ideas as DigiSynth but would in no way be competitive to their customer base (as 'our' platform would be tailored to the $1500 eastern DPSS rigs instead of OPSL systems with CT scanners). We already have quite a lot of hardware and software developers on the boards, and I think we can make something cool happen given enough free time. I'm well versed in AVR, C++, OpenGL and signal processing and would be happy to pitch in.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I love leaving my Chinese galvos in storage for one month then having to break loose the shafts with needle nose from frozen/migrated lubricant.

Not gonna happen with Cambridge or Eyemagic.

Something to think about.

Steve