Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Uh oh!Wicked Lasers sith series.

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    *sigh*

Just couldn't resist putting my $.02 into this badass thread..

Of course this new device from Wicked Morons is ridiculous, dangerous and pointless.. and ordinarily that would be all that is necessary to say. Except for the fact that this is PL.. so on account of that there's MUCH more to say hehe...

Let me see if I can somehow manage to channel what will happen as a result of this thread by looking into my crystal ball:

All the folks on PL will bitch and moan about it at length, filling many pages talking about how this device will singlehandedly bring about the end of days just like the Arctics did.. and we all remember the millions of eyeballs melted, and the planes dropping from the sky like huge aluminum raindrops, and we all remember how our entire hobby ceased to exist, and all laserists thrown into work camps. Our families killed, our dogs raped.. as was predicted by the gurus at Photonlexicon.com in their infinite wisdom (HAHAHAHA).

The problem is...

So far the Arctics have failed DISMALLY at living up to the above-mentioned hype about how they will be the end of us all.. I base this on the fact that last I checked we're all still here and me and my family and our possessions and loved ones are unharmed, so I'm thinking that Armageddon has not happened. In fact, outside of this and a couple other forums the entire world is happily oblivious to the fact that this "threat" even exists.. Once again I take the stance that PL likes to freak out about stuff that just really isn't all that big of a deal. I think the same will apply here.. But what I do know based on the hard evidence I've seen is that folks on PL always need something to whine and cry about, so more power to 'em LOL..

Wake me up when the FDA starts giving a crap enough to really do something about it. That's their domain after all.. this thread only serves to display a market for Kleenex. These lasers are already illegal here in the US, and the FDA has already dispatched their stern letters to China and what has been the outcome?

Nada. Same as always..

When Uncle Sam cares, I'll care. Until then carry on with the whining gents. Maybe you'll be able to pull off another indictment like you did with ProDJAllen.. who, I might add, would appear to have suffered naught from your efforts.. Meanwhile I'll be off being awesome someplace.
    actually they do care, from what I have heard/witnessed customs has been cracking down on illegal pointers quite well actually

and the whole WL arctic thing came very close to turning our world upside down (at least here in the US) trust me on that one

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    actually they do care, from what I have heard/witnessed customs has been cracking down on illegal pointers quite well actually

and the whole WL arctic thing came very close to turning our world upside down (at least here in the US) trust me on that one
    You may be right about the former, I don't buy pointers.. but I doubt the latter very much.

You know this place really does demand a lot of trust doesn't it.. in fact, I'd say that the one constant of my interesting existence as a PL member has been that people say a whole lot of stuff, but when you look for hard evidence to back up what they say you get zilch. I'm from the Show-Me State people.. so ya gots ta show me.

Anyway, here I am getting caught up in the conversation on PL.. something that I generally avoid.

All the best, loves... ta for now.

When Uncle Sam cares, I'll care. Until then carry on with the whining gents.
    So do nothing? Make no phone calls and send off no emails? I am sorry, I can't just do nothing. This is like voting. Your vote and my vote probably mean nothing but, it is better than doing nothing at all. I understand that it will most likely take every single person who buys one of these to go blind as well as start forest fires and burn arms and legs off people and animals before anything is done. I also know that you can't legislate stupidity, but by doing absolutly nothing at all just shows a blatent lack of care and respect for a hobby that most of us regard as a passion.

I think it is very good that everyone who sees how this laser is a dangerous idea posts about it. Anyone new who comes in and wants to build something like this will not only get no help, but maybe they will see that this is a very very bad idea. I am sure there are some people who don't know that lasers are dangerous. "Avoid exposure to beam" Some people only see this as an obligatory warning for legal reasons. But if they also see that a TON of people look at this very seriously, maybe they will too. I doubt that many would, but maybe a handful will. I can be very happy with that.

When I worked at MWK, a guy called (no joke) and wanted to buy a C02 laser to deter the birds in his tree to keep them from shitting on his car. I suppose I could have recommended a 30W C02 to him and sold it, but I did my part by explaining how dangerous and illegal that would be as he had NO IDEA. I think I made a good decision.

Just sayin
    Last edited by absolom7691; 09-16-2011 at 01:09.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

What they should do is refuse the item entry to the US, take it out and fill the box with concrete, then return it to sender as refused entry so the airline bills WL for the cost of the return.

Damn, I saw that on their website and figured there would be a thread bashing them here.

Electrofreak, while maybe it hasn't been as bad as people here said, it certainly hasn't been good.....
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

You may be right about the former, I don't buy pointers.. but I doubt the latter very much.

You know this place really does demand a lot of trust doesn't it.. in fact, I'd say that the one constant of my interesting existence as a PL member has been that people say a whole lot of stuff, but when you look for hard evidence to back up what they say you get zilch. I'm from the Show-Me State people.. so ya gots ta show me.

Anyway, here I am getting caught up in the conversation on PL.. something that I generally avoid.

All the best, loves... ta for now.
    what is it you want? an agency that I deal with a lot (hint: not the FDA/CDRH or Customs/ICE) was looking into bringing these high power laser devices into their jurisdiction, and that would have made everyones life difficult... because it would not have been "hey thats an illegal pointer! shame on you!" but "thats an illegal pointer, off to federal prison you go"

Thumbs down ...well, shoot....

I guess the atmosphere around here was getting just a bit too civil, and nice, healthy discussions being-had, etc...

...who, I might add, would appear to have suffered naught from your efforts..
    Cause he wised-up and changed his course of action, after being placed directly in the Chief of the Branches' crosshairs, after conversations with me, others here and with the CDRH, directly... But he is on their radar, and will stay there till his variance is submitted / approved... I'll be happy to give you Chief Doyle's contact-info so you can talk to him about it.... Oh, but wait - you might not wanna do that, since you're out there actually *doing* shows in public w/o a variance - or did you apply for a variance and get it approved? Please, correct me if I am wrong...

...I'd say that the one constant of my interesting existence as a PL member has been that people say a whole lot of stuff, but when you look for hard evidence to back up what they say you get zilch. I'm from the Show-Me State people.. so ya gots ta show me.
    Trouble-is, PL-members *do* show you, and you're either blind, schitzophrenic, in-denial - or all three, and/or you just don't like the answers - here, let's try this again:

This 'renewed-effort' was largely-inspired by WL's 'Spyder'-blitz:http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia...alert_254.html

...and low and behold, they do act: http://community.wickedlasers.com/in...27#entry201727

...Oh, and BTW: http://www.photonlexicon.com/wiki/in...itle=Main_Page so, your accusations that this community 'does nothing' to help promote / educate and steer-people towards safe-use of lasers / shows... and FYI, all we *can*-do is 'lead the horse to the water'...

If you're gonna do nothing but rail on the PL-community on how we're all just a bunch of lame do-nothings, blah, blah, blah, please go back to your self-validated cave of wonders and leave us all alone....

j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 05-04-2011 at 15:51. Reason: censored!
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

My $0.02: Those who get a 700-1400mW laser in their hand soon find out how dangerous it is and treat it with a bit of respect, for their own selfish reasons. OK, it'll light a cigarette (ahem), but then you think "damn, I should've had those glasses on" or "damn, I could've just freakin' blinded myself" and that's that. All but the really stupid, malicious or drunk will be cool with it. Same will happen with this idiotic toy. But that's capitalism. OK, $0.03.

Wow, the starwars kid video....couldn't stop laughing... How does his brain generate
    that much electricity to move that FF that fast? Lol The expressions on his face are priceless.

Especially that time he comes up to the camera and throws that "I'm such a badass" look!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.