Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Wavelength Choice

^^^ I agree with this.

How about telling us what power your other components are, and we might be able to advise. I've got a watt of 637 Kvant arriving soon to go in a 3.5W RGB projector (1W 532, 1.5W 445), so i may be able to give you some real world comparisons if yours is a similar sized build.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I agree also. Remember the less watts you run the safer it is, so more brightness for less watts = easier to keep within safe limits.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    ^^^ I agree with this.

How about telling us what power your other components are, and we might be able to advise. I've got a watt of 637 Kvant arriving soon to go in a 3.5W RGB projector (1W 532, 1.5W 445), so i may be able to give you some real world comparisons if yours is a similar sized build.
    yes I am eagerly awaiting seeing that come together and your thoughts on it...

I have a 2x 1W 650's and 1.2W 642nm KVant in my projector and I still feel it isnt enough

Thanks guys for all your input so far, it helps.

Use is for beams rather than graphics & will be used in large club type events.

Other lasers confirmed so far are 2W 532 & 3.6W 445

with those kind of power levels you definitely need to be looking at 635/637

you would need a stupid amount of 660 to match your blue and green

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    with those kind of power levels you definitely need to be looking at 635/637

you would need a stupid amount of 660 to match your blue and green
    I agree; I was guessing you were going to use a watt or so of blue and green. I'd say you'll want 5 or 6 watts of 660 to go with 2 watts of green... Maybe more.

Quote Originally Posted by dilbert;
    Other lasers confirmed so far are 2W 532 & 3.6W 445
    To me that means you have at least 1W too much blue or at least 1W less green than you need for balanced colour (before factoring in the red).

This is all good when going for full power beams of one colour or another but does mean you'd be significantly under powering the blue in balanced colour mode. This may affect your colour palette depth.

I agree with Tagalucci, it seems very blue heavy.

Running it through Chroma, at those wavelengths, you could achieve parity with the powers really and still should have a good white balance (albeit warm white balance).

ie. 2W 532, 2W 445, 2W 637

If you want it a little cooler, then you could actually add a little more green.

A better balance is achieved with 2.5W 532, 2W 445, 2W 637nm. I believe the balance point here is approaching that of Steve Milani's projector which has a very nice cool white (his plot from memory was slightly more on the edge of the white triangle ie to the left):

Here's the plot with 2W 445, 2w 637 and 2.5 W 532:

You could even go 3W 532 as it just shifts the balance point upwards and to the left edge of the white triangle for a cool white:

You have room in this last plot to increase blue once more if you wanted more blue as an individual colour. With green at 3W, 3.5W 445 would still work albeit the balance shifts below the centre point towards the blue spectrum. Nothing seen outside of Kvant style balance here though so should work.

Don't make the mistake looking at Chroma that most of us made early on by thinking that for perfect white it needs to be dead centre. From Steve Milani's results, the White balance area actually appears to be the feint white triangle in the centre which encompasses quite a large area so gives a very wide scope for many balance combinations based upon personal colour temp preferences for white.

Also remember, Chroma is predicting white. If you feel you need more strength in particular colour then you may of course want to forego your perfect white in pursuit of higher powers in one particular colour.

660nm BTW isn't the best choice. It's surprisingly dimmer than 642. 637 should give significant brightness gains.

Please not these are predictions only and no substitute for an on the ground test. Maybe you could hire a laser from Kvant that's over these powers, then turn down the colours in the software to suit until you have your perfect solution.
    Last edited by White-Light; 05-09-2011 at 23:50. Reason: Read the original posters red wavelgnth wrongly as 650 instead of 660

BTW according to Chroma on luminosity, just 850mw of 637 is the same brightness as 2.8W 660!!!

So that makes 637 around 3 times brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    BTW according to Chroma on luminosity, just 850mw of 637 is the same brightness as 2.8W 660!!!

So that makes 637 around 3 times brighter.
    and 3 times the price, oh to be rich and could afford all these fancy modules.

why does the forum insist on only recommending 637 these days? if its not 637 yoour doing it wrong and the forum doesnt approve.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat