Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 445 turning white when hitting certain surface why?

Default 445 turning white when hitting certain surface why?

I dont really know much about how lasers work when they hit a certain surface but why do these 445 diodes turn really bright white when they hit a orange surface? was just fooling around with one of my diodes today and it hit something orange and it turned bright white. Can anyone tell me why it does this? I am including a few pictures. The second picture is with a 445 diode hooked up to a flexmod 3 with no modulation and the first one is with it hooked to 3.3v on the modulation on whatever the flexmod came set to. Does blue and orange make white?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 001.jpg  

Picture 002.jpg  

Lightbulb

It is flouressing the orange and adding blue to it; orange is red and green, add blue and you get white... kinda; enough for us and the camera to see white.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by aktopjian View Post
    I dont really know much about how lasers work when they hit a certain surface but why do these 445 diodes turn really bright white when they hit a orange surface? was just fooling around with one of my diodes today and it hit something orange and it turned bright white. Can anyone tell me why it does this? I am including a few pictures. The second picture is with a 445 diode hooked up to a flexmod 3 with no modulation and the first one is with it hooked to 3.3v on the modulation on whatever the flexmod came set to. Does blue and orange make white?
    The colour your eyes see is a combination of the red, green and blue light being detected by your retina.

The orange surface is orange because it reflects red and green light combined (orange). Add blue to red and green and you get white!

I believe there is a scientific principle for the effect of a surface emitting its own colour characteristics despite being lit by a difference wavelength (in this case 445nm). But I can't remember what it is!
    Last edited by taggalucci; 05-11-2011 at 16:39. Reason: fixed double quote

Just like allthatwhichis said. It is fluorescing and the product is a white color. The same thing will happen if you take a 405nm laser and shine it at anything white (with detergent in it) white clothing, white paper..... it will fluoresce bright blue, I would say in the 475nm ~ 490nm range. This is exactly how dye lasers work. There is a stream of optical dye that uses another laser (typically argon or nitrogen) that pumps the dye. It fluoresces in between a HR and OC thereby turning the fluorescing dye into a lasing medium.
    Last edited by absolom7691; 05-11-2011 at 15:05. Reason: spelling
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Ahh that all makes sense now. Thanks for the info.

Speaking of dye lasers, here is a pic. The optical cavity is a work of art in itself. You can see the hose coming out of the top with the fluorescent orange Rhodamine dye in it. It is being pumped by an argon laser.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser_Cavity_DYE-SF-077-02.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	24991
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by aktopjian View Post
    I dont really know much about how lasers work when they hit a certain surface but why do these 445 diodes turn really bright white when they hit a orange surface?
    This phenomena is easily explained.

The laser photon excite the surface Unobtanium filaments. These filaments are crystal tubes enclosing one dimensional space. The effect is achieved by first inducing superconductivity in a planar space and then continuously deforming the crystal plane enclosure into crystal tube. One dimensionality is achieved the superconducting current breaks symmetry to split into a gravitational component and a very strong nuclear force component. The very strong nuclear force component strengthens the filament along the longitudinal direction and the gravitational component binds the crystalline matrix to the filament.

When an unobtainum filament is stressed the resistance of the very strong nuclear force component strengthens the gravitational component. If the stress is sufficient the filament collapses into a black hole string which explodes via the Hawking effect. The blue wavelength light is then sucked in to the black hole string and ejecta from the radial axis emits light at the mystical wavelength r(t) = (roe2)nm. where r = local reality and t = time in seconds before supper. The mystical wavelength is broadband spectral oscillation inversion layer, creating macro Spielberg effect in space time.

Pretty straight forward really.
    This space for rent.

LOL dnar if you say so

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    This phenomena is easily explained.

The laser photon excite the surface Unobtanium filaments. These filaments are crystal tubes enclosing one dimensional space. The effect is achieved by first inducing superconductivity in a planar space and then continuously deforming the crystal plane enclosure into crystal tube. One dimensionality is achieved the superconducting current breaks symmetry to split into a gravitational component and a very strong nuclear force component. The very strong nuclear force component strengthens the filament along the longitudinal direction and the gravitational component binds the crystalline matrix to the filament.

When an unobtainum filament is stressed the resistance of the very strong nuclear force component strengthens the gravitational component. If the stress is sufficient the filament collapses into a black hole string which explodes via the Hawking effect. The blue wavelength light is then sucked in to the black hole string and ejecta from the radial axis emits light at the mystical wavelength r(t) = (roe2)nm. where r = local reality and t = time in seconds before supper. The mystical wavelength is broadband spectral oscillation inversion layer, creating macro Spielberg effect in space time.

Pretty straight forward really.

Where do you come up with this $hit?

My guess is performance-enhancing drugs.