Thread: Product and market demand check (635nM)...

Default Product and market demand check (635nM)...

I've been messing around with foreign manufacturers recently and have managed to come up with something... 635nM dioes are insanely brighter than 650nM however the big problem is that 635 diodes have a stripe size that is wholly unworkable when >20mW and that causes the chinese listings for these things to have specifications like 5mm at aperture and 6mrad divergence.

Before I delve head first in to this and burn outrageous amounts of money I would like to know the relative market demand for thie fallowing:

635nM multimode.
    300mW
    2mm aperture beam size
    1mrad divergence.
    <10k analog/ttl
    5k hour MTBF

The diode prices are astronomical, so the finished product would be somewhere around $1500 however on the upside, i dont think a product like this exists anywhere.

Opinions?

Default RE: Product and market demand check (635nM)...

I am very interested. Beam size and divergence are what have prevented me from investigating 635nm and looking more into the artcos 650 and the maXYZ modules. Perceived brightness is crucial when used for beams and atmospherics. But I guess i have to ask: is it polarized? not for modulating with a AOM or PCAOM, but maybe have a few 100 mw of deeper red to combine with the 635 if looking for better color balance. (could also possibly be combined w a very narrow bandwidth dichroic)

Yes. Definetly. How would you get the good beam specs ? anamorphic prisms ? Single mode diode ?
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Do any of the diodes at RPMC lasers look like they are usable here ?

www.lasershowparts.com

Quote Originally Posted by aijii
    Do any of the diodes at RPMC lasers look like they are usable here ?
    Yes, entirely. I was considering them as a source for the prototypes until i called them and got a price check.

I talk myself out of using them by saying "Thats the price of a small car per diode and theres no way I can keep the diodes that cold and still provide any form of modulation"

Prices come down a hair when you start talking multi thousand diode purchases but thats a ton(by weight) of cash that I really dont have.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to work for a giant corporation and have my own cubicle and R&D budget.

Default Re: Product and market demand check (635nM)...

Quote Originally Posted by Spec
    I've been messing around with foreign manufacturers recently and have managed to come up with something... 635nM dioes are insanely brighter than 650nM however the big problem is that 635 diodes have a stripe size that is wholly unworkable when >20mW and that causes the chinese listings for these things to have specifications like 5mm at aperture and 6mrad divergence.

Before I delve head first in to this and burn outrageous amounts of money I would like to know the relative market demand for thie fallowing:

635nM multimode.
    300mW
    2mm aperture beam size
    1mrad divergence.
    <10k analog/ttl
    5k hour MTBF

The diode prices are astronomical, so the finished product would be somewhere around $1500 however on the upside, i dont think a product like this exists anywhere.

Opinions?
    Get the analog modulation to at least 10KHz (preferrably 30KHz) and I'll buy one right now

How would your 300 mW 635nm laser compare to what other diode or DPSS solutions that are out there , quality and price wise ?
    I.E. Arctos and various American and Chinese DPSS solutions.

Rick
    Profile Redacted by Admin @ 04.24.2010

Spec,

How do you actually propose to get such good beam specs from wide stripe diode (presuming thats what the source will be) ?

Not doubting you or calling you a liar here... I just can't help being a tiny bit skeptical as physics is physics...

If you've found a way to get such "PRO" beam specs well I suspect you'd be making a lot of money very quickly....

Cheers,

adrian-

www.lasershowparts.com

Quote Originally Posted by LaserLover
    How would your 300 mW 635nm laser compare to what other diode or DPSS solutions that are out there , quality and price wise ?
    I.E. Arctos and various American and Chinese DPSS solutions.
    Quality... Well, im German if that means anything.

Price: No idea yet. my above $1500 tag was based on spot check pricing for 50 unit orders of all individual components, (lens network, power supply, diode, machining)

Cant really compare it to arctos as its a multidiode setup with 50-100 micron stripe single mode diodes.

Chinese diodes: well, thats why I started tossing the idea around. The prices are low but the beam specifications are well in to the "should be called a spot light" territory.

Quote Originally Posted by aijii
    Spec,

How do you actually propose to get such good beam specs from wide stripe diode (presuming thats what the source will be) ?

Not doubting you or calling you a liar here... I just can't help being a tiny bit skeptical as physics is physics...

If you've found a way to get such "PRO" beam specs well I suspect you'd be making a lot of money very quickly....

Cheers,

adrian-
    a 50-75 micron stripe is pretty easy to beat around, Most low-power diode and DPSS systems these days use a 50-100 micon stripe, and when you start getting into the 100 micron territory you have to start getting serious with anamorphic prisms.

I see it as doable. Physics really become the issue with a multimode diode and keeping the spot size down, but at 60 micron with these powers it *should* clean up nicely.

Id have to tinker to find out, but right now it seems no more complex than your middle-road multi stage optic setup in an average 500mW 532nM system.

Hell, If I get desperate, I could always fiber couple and lose some power and gain a mm at the aperture.

I know I make this sound a lot more trivial than it actually is but I assure you that im not completely out-in-left-field with my idea.

I really have looked for any documentation proving ive completely lost it, but I just havent found any.