Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who would like to meet Dr. Sam Goldwasser at SELEM?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I've followed this thread but have yet to comment. Sam lives about 20 minutes away from me. I can offer transportation as well however, I don't think my traveling times will coincide with whatever his schedule may be. I'm still anticipating leaving late afternoon Wednesday and either coming back Sunday night or, if I bite the bullet and stay for Greg on Monday, then it will be another 2-3 a.m. arrival home Monday night into Tuesday.

I'm likely going to rent some type of conveyance rather than drive my car, just not sure what yet. I'm thinking about a cargo van and since my son is probably going, I doubt either one of them would be too juiced about sharing the milk crate in the middle though. I'm leaning towards a minivan instead.

ATM... it looks very good on Sam,, he will be there- Brad will most likely be picking him up and Alex(MM) has offered the ride home-pending a change in riders in his Jeep- Sam will be staying in Room 115(suite) with Docjohn and myself- we still need to 'borrow' a bed for Sam to use for Wed late nite only- so if you have room in your room-- so he can use it for a few hours on Wed. nite... PLZ speak up.

Anyone needing a ride from Tx contact me-asap--- Adam (sugeek) will not be able to join us this year.

Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    . . . we still need to 'borrow' a bed for Sam to use for Wed late nite only- so if you have room in your room-- so he can use it for a few hours on Wed. nite... PLZ speak up.
    Adam (300EVIL) and I should be arriving Wednesday, as usual. If all else fails, I'm happy to sleep on the floor for one night, if nothing better pops up.

- Jonathan

Glad to hear the two of you will be traveling together again! Good things always seem to come out of the two of you pairing up for a road-trip!

Give me a call on my cell Thursday morning when you get up. I'm going to try to get into town before noon...

Adam

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laserfest-stars DrSam LASERSAM.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	26007++

Above see a recent photo of LaserSam at Stoneybrook Sam is on the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    Adam (300EVIL) and I should be arriving Wednesday, as usual. If all else fails, I'm happy to sleep on the floor for one night, if nothing better pops up.

- Jonathan
    Thanks Jonathon- maybe the HIE would bend the rules and allow a rollaway in your room for one nite. Or maybe another room will have an empty bed. Also anyone with a suite is allowed up to 4 persons so a rollaway is OK for one nite-

ps they seem more comfortable to me, if the matress is placed diectly on the floor- len
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 07-19-2011 at 17:50. Reason: adding pic

Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    Thanks Jonathon- maybe the HIE would bend the rules and allow a rollaway in your room for one nite. . .
    I'd just sleep on the floor.

- J

Default Sam G update and Photo

I ran across this when googling sam.

The Stony Brook LaserFest celebration was organized by Harold Metcalf, former chair of APS-DLS, and Abhay Deshpande, undergraduate program director for Physics and Astronomy. It was supported by the Simons Foundation through the Laser Teaching Center and by the Department of Physics and Astronomy. Nineteen posters on laser-related research by high school, undergraduate and graduate students were on display for the duration of the event, and detailed abstracts of the posters were published in a booklet given to attendees. A related afternoon event at a nearby location was a physics colloquium by Stony Brook faculty member Dominik Schneble on Bose-Einstein condensation, one of many fields of research made possible by lasers.

While the "bright spots" of the Stony Brook LaserFest were the two laser light shows by a professional team from Prismatic Magic, its "stars" were honored guests Rebecca (Becky) Thompson-Flagg and Samuel (Laser Sam) Goldwasser. Thompson-Flagg heads a public outreach group at APS that creates, among many other things, educational comic-books for pre-teen students. The 2009 series featured a female super-hero, Spectra, that the comic-book artist modeled after her. Becky took advantage of this to appear at numerous public events dressed as the Spectra character. Laser Sam Goldwasser is the creator of Sam's Laser FAQ, a well-known internet resource. He collaborated with Alex Triano, a Stony Brook freshman and laser hobbyist, on a display of lasers and laser-based devices that operated for the duration of the Stony Brook LaserFest. Goldwasser and Triano have both been quoted in two recent New York Times articles on laser safety. They are shown in the picture below with Becky Thompson-Flagg, in her Spectra costume.
    "Laser Sam" Goldwasser, Spectra, and Alex Triano at Stony Brook's LaserFest event

*minor update*

Adam (300) is currently planning on driving down from Wisconsin and might not make it Wednesday night so, as it stands, I'll have an extra official free bed that Wednesday night. For what it's worth.

- Jonathan

Well= now he has two places to stay wed nite--jeff rgb-gas has reserved a room too for Sam..maybe something can be worked out to avoid the extra bed and expense.
    ...one solution- you change your res to starting Thur and stay w/Sam for one nite or vice versa. I am sure either path will be OK with Sam and The HIE. Contact Jeff and work it out .... adapt and adjust-- I know he would enjoy the company ===just no Bromance!!!- you know how jealous adam 300 can get --lol===j/k

len
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 07-30-2011 at 09:45. Reason: spell check

Letter From Sam about SELEM V

To: "l henz" <hakzaw1(at)yahoo(dot)com>

Please express my sincere appreciation to all those who helped and contributed
    to making my visit possible as well as twisting my arm. And being able
    to meet some of the poeple I've been emailing and newsgrouping with for ages.
    All of you get free lifetime tech support via the Laser FAQ.

I did especially enjoy the laser tinkering in the back rooms and being able
    to see some of the equipment people built up close and personal. I'm simply
    amazed at how passionate everyone is and what they have been able to do with
    resourcefullness and social networking.

Also, express my apologies to the guy (Rich?) who did the Close Encounters
    show for my not seeing it under better conditions (only during the setup).
    If there's any way to view it on a PC, I'd love to do that but I'm not going
    to build a projector only for that purpose. ;-)

cheers---sam

HOW COOL IS THAT?