Thread: Epic Epic &%#ing Epic Fail

Default Epic Epic &%#ing Epic Fail

I feel so stupid and mad!!!

Last weekend I assembled and mounted new wall mounted cupboards (5) in the laundry. Loads of storage space. Not liking the handles that came with them, today I picked up a set that match the lower cupboards and also the kitchen. These are nice anodised ali units.

Grabbed a handle, made a cardboard template to mark the two drill holes. Masking taped the doors and marked/drilled all holes ever so carefully, 2 holes per door. So far good job, 2 brownie points.

Handle #1 mounted up great, perfect hole centers. Then the awful revelation hit me.... The handle I used as a reference for my template was a retardo-handle!!!!!

All other handles are 6mm shorter!!!!!! Arrrghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told the missus I won't be picking up any more tools this weekend until I get over this epic fail...
    This space for rent.

KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

I would go back to the place you bought the handle with some calipers in hand. You may be able to find more of the same handles as the one you used for your template and not have to fill the holes. It was probably mixed in from another bin close-by.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

May I be of some service? I have a world class 4 acre Amish owned hardware store 4 miles away, and I own a digital caliper of the first order. If you get me the center to center spacing, I will be glad to pick you something appropriate. I'm betting there is a informal standard for these things dating back to the 1940s.

If you don't have Amish farmer owned, old time, hardware stores in OZ, you should, amazing what they have!

Your not alone pal.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-14-2011 at 08:20.

Thanks guys. I am going back to the store today with calipers and handles in hand.

If they can't supply the longer handle then I'll demand they supply new doors or offer to move my holes by 6mm.

I cant believe there is an identical handle just 6mm longer?....
    This space for rent.